• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Packaged seeds already sprouting?

I just received some seeds from Peru today and found many are already sprouting. Will they be alright until January, or should I go ahead and start them? Stick 'em all, or just the ones not sprouting, into the fridge?

mecdave said:
I just received some seeds from Peru today and found many are already sprouting. Will they be alright until January, or should I go ahead and start them? Stick 'em all, or just the ones not sprouting, into the fridge?

I'd say you would have to go ahead and start them,  stick the ones not sprouting into fridge.   Just my thinking

Just make sure they're really sprouting and that isn't something like mold starting on the outside. Hope that's the case for you. I wonder if they got wet in-transit.

Ha... thanks for the input guys. I took a closer look at the seeds and I think Prime Time nailed it. It looks like they sprouted (just a bit) while drying, but then actually got thoroughly dried. Also looks like he used a vacuum sealer to make and seal individual pouches for the different type seeds, so they couldn't have gotten wet during transport. They really do look dried (just a few with short tails).

So I'd say it's too late to do anything with them now. Will just see how they do at germination time. Thanks again!

Nova said:
Could be a new marketing twist that people could use.

"Don't have the patience or knowledge to germinate seeds? With us you get the seed with an established tap root!"
Hey, pre-sprouted seeds, what a concept. "Act now and we'll send you another set of pre-sprouted seeds free!! and all you have to do is pay 99.95 for shipping and handling!!" :liar:

Back