Well hello there!

Hello all, my name is Jesse! I've browsed here a few times as I am just starting to dip my feet in to the world of growing peppers (or much of anything really). I am from New Hampshire so unfortunately cold weather is about to put a damper on my first growing season. I had a bit of success this summer.. I grew some sweet peppers both from seed and from plants which were already started that I purchased from where I work. I started late but still was able to grow some sweet bell peppers and even got a handful of jalapenos! However, this leads to my first question. A while after I purchased my jalapeno plant (which was already started and about six inches tall) I finally got one pepper which to my amazement, was the hottest jalapeno I had ever tasted! Since then I have had a few here and there. Just before a frost we got a couple of nights ago, I picked my biggest ones just to make sure I could enjoy them before the frost got to them. Some of them started to turn black on one side which I've read may be the transition from green to red? I'm not sure, they were still shiny and firm like the rest so I assumed they were okay to eat. Anyway, before I bore you all, my question is why on earth was my very first pepper so hot and the rest since then have had absolutely no heat to them at all? This was so strange and disappointing to me, when it only grew one it was insanely hot but now that the plant is growing several at once they seem to have lost all signs of any heat. Is there any reason for this? Anything I need to change? Thanks so much for any advice!

~Jesse

Welcome to THP!

Unfortunately, I can't give you any answer about your jalapenos, I'm new in the growing hobby too. I'm sure there is a handful of people here that know the answer, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

You still have a scab on your tongue from the first one???
Does sound strange though the heat and flavor tends to improve as they ripen. Maybe you picked the others too young?

This first one nearly killed me! It was awesome  :dance:  I'm just so confused what happened with the others! I believe I let them ripen even more than the first one but I could be wrong! I'm still quite puzzled :mope:

Hi from Missouri, With the Jalapeno it depends alot on how mature the pods are and if they have gotten enough sun where the pods can make the needed Capsaicin oil, all though they will still make pods even in the shade. I grow several types of Jalapeno's Some like Biker Billy's is quite hot and fooled ya has no heat at all, some take just a few months to mature and some take much longer.

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Oh, snap! Where in New Hampshire are you from? I just moved out of Manch last year to NC! Much easier to grow stuff here, though the bugs are somewhat ridiculous. Anyways, welcome!

Welcome from sunny Murrells Inlet SC. I love growing jalapenos and yes sound like you have some changing from purple to red stage have patience and good luck. :)

Back