• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Central Florida Grow

I am brand new at growing pepper. I am from Central Florida and am wondering when I can grow some hotts? I plan on growing in 5 gallon buckets. Any tips or tricks to growing here in Florida would be great. Thank You.

Jay, I'm just outside of Tampa and had plants full of peppers in Jan, Feb, and March!!  I don't see why you can't also as long as you watch the weather. Mine were in the ground, with yours going to be in buckets where you can move them you should be alright......

Thank you very much Pat for the input. Hopefully I have success. I am most likely going to bring them inside at night. Do your plants produce fruits all year round?

This is gonna be the first year I try to grow year round. I pulled up the plants earlier this year when I just had too many peppers to use/give away. Gonna grow just a few varieties of super hots this year and play with those..Good luck!!!

I am some what new myself.If you going to grow them in 5 gallon buckets,make sure you put some good size hole in the buckets.Another thing is be careful not to over water them.

Houston where in the space coast are you located? I am in viera
pepperguy1 said:
I am some what new myself.If you going to grow them in 5 gallon buckets,make sure you put some good size hole in the buckets.Another thing is be careful not to over water them.
I planned on making some holes. Any suggestion on size and number of holes? Also what about soil? I was thinking about just grabbing some miracle gro moisture control I'm only doing four 5 gallon buckets to start off. And also what about fertilizers? Not sure what to use there also? Thank you very much pepper guy for the tips I greatly appreciate it.

James where are you at in central florida? I'm on the space coast. Rockledge to be precise.

I've got some buckets growing if youre not too far away you can come check it out.

Sirex I am right around the corner in Viera. I just moved here so right now I do not have my own transportation, but what kind of soil and ferts/nutrients are you using?

I'm in Merritt island James, for my fertilizer I use fox farms and I'm happy with it be it a bit more expensive. I grew for a bit in 5 gallon pots and around 3-4 1 inch holes should do it if there aren't already holes. Just moved some to the ground. Had to mix a bunch of garden soil since our ground is mostly sand. Nice since I don't have to worry about overwatering with the ground ones as much as I had to with the pots.

Every one raves about the fox farms. Going to check them out. I go to rockledge gardens and mix in their homemade compost w topsoil from Lowes. Next time mixing in cow dung. Right now I am just using a 7-7-7 food and fish emulsion. Just started a Epsom foliar spray as well.

I make about 10 inch triangles w my pocket knife in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets and put a layer of rocks down that I get from around my mother in laws pool. Drain well.

Definitely check out rockledge gardens on us1. I got to strip their datil plant and she gave me a flowering ghost pepper as well. Its like 3.5 for a huge bag of their compost.

You say you're new to growing. So I am. I was gifted a bunch of super hot seeds. If you need some let me know.shoot youre so close I could prob throw you a pod or two if I still have some.

I am over in Tampa Bay area and the only real issues that I have are stink bugs, and my dogs chasing lizards through my plants!

I am getting the wooly aphids I believe. Started out as larvae crawling in my soil with a few gnats. I assumed fungus gnats. Now I'm finding little tiny white, what looks like egg sacs, things on the underside of the leaves. I perused a few threads and another central Florida grower had a pic. They thought whiteflies but someone else determined wooly aphids. Soooo.... Neem oil here I come.

Back