• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hard to grow super hot?

I finaly got 3 ripe Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Yellow. WOW that was HOT :fireball: . I had 4 plants but only one got fruit and there was only 3 pods on that plant. Are super hot more difficult to grow and do they need more stable temperature?

Growing this year my first super hot, a 7 Pot BS, but didn't cared too much about it, and nothing special compared to the others. I grow outside, in my garden, not pot growing.
But this is only my POV, and as I said, first time grower, can't compare to any previous.

no, most superhots desire the same growing conditions.

Other varieties are different and harder to grow pubescens, exium.

No problems here either once I got dem supers started.
But getting them to sprout and go to mature plant is the actual difficulty with supers.

Maybe your temps were too high, you had too much/little ferts or something else unfavourable.

Wulf said:

I seem to find that their time to maximum harvest is always (available growing season + 1 month).
Yeah a lot of guys from colder climates have this problem.

Lucky here is Oz we have a rather long growing season. Sometimes we get no frosts and everything is just hunky dory.

I've had issues with getting the superhots to grow and ripen in my area too. I'm in a similar climate and only have 90 days for a season. I had to completely switch up my grow in order to get some ripe peppers. This year I went through the trials and tribulations of coco and hydro nutes before hitting the right combo that could produce the super hots. I think I have enough to last until next summer when I'll need some more for hot wings. You may have to go on your own journey and figure out exactly what you have to do to get a highly productive plant.

Neil

About 16 celcius mean.

Top end of the scale is about double that but some don't tolerate the heat as well as others.

Wulf said:

I seem to find that their time to maximum harvest is always (available growing season + 1 month).

A maddening hobby, to be sure! 

At the other end of the climatic scale, too much heat will keep the plants from getting 'in the mood' to set flowers and fruit. Some of my SH plants have been growing since February, but only over the last month or so, as the summer temperatures have slowly started to drop, have any them produced more than foliage. (They're looking rather promising now, and growing season is another 1.5 ~ 2 months. :) )  In that regard, yea, I've found the Supers to be a bit frustrating.

OTOH, the c.Annum and c.Baccatum plants have been producing at least a few pods throughout the hottest months.

In my greenhouse the temperature is from 12C (53F) at night to 38C (100F) at sunny day, but now its many days where the day temp isnt over 27C (80F).  I started a litle late and next year i will start 3 months earlier.

Growing in West Texas the last 2 years has been very trying
Plants started in Dec,and set out late March are just now holding flowers and producing pods
Primo
Moruga
BrainStrain
Reaper
The Reapers are just now flowering coming into Oct. :rolleyes:
Three solid months of 100*F+ day and 90*F nights do not encourage these peppers to grow
Jalapeno types grow like mad,supers cant handle the heat :) :rofl:

I've tried Butch T's in the past and Morugas and Reapers the past couple of years.  I'm about to give up. lol.  Out of maybe 6 reaper and moruga plants this year I've gotten possibly 4-5 tiny peppers.  Now the flowers may be setting, but with only about a month or two of growing time left, it's another lost season.  I may cut back to 3 reapers for my superhots next year and switch to growing other varieties.  The worst looking plant I had this year will not stop producing fruit.  It's a Jamaican red mushroom pepper and the plant looks like it was hit by a missle and started to grow like ground cover - it has no structure to it, but it keeps producing peppers. lol.  I also will grow a few more of one of my favorite peppers now after trying them this year - the tepin.  That thing produces like mad even in the hottest months.  I just have to figure out a way to keep birds away.

If any of you folks grow superhots like morugas in North Texas, is this a lost cause?  Last year I got about 20 pods towards the end of the growing season, but none of them ripened before the first frosts hit.

I can't say for sure for you. But in southeast Texas the last 2 summers were terrible for me at least. It just stayed to hot and unfortunately as mentioned above both high day and night temps are bad for superhots. I wouldn't say it's a lost cause I would just try again and hope for a normal season.

Back