• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Toubleshooting Ferments

good info, thanks for sharing.  I linked it in the Fermenting 101 thread.

Um. I'm new here and don't to rock the boat or anything... but...

When a web resource says "If the ferment smells just downright rotten and has a layer of mold on top, try removing the top layer and see if the entire batch has the same odor."... I say "Good Lord are you serious?"

If the ferment "smells downright rotten" it should go in the bin, surely?

And when they write:
"Culture Has Crawly Things in It
The ultimate YUK factor, but not as dangerous as you might think. This comes from leaving the fermenting vessel open so flies can get in. They lay their eggs on the surface, and the flies then hatch into maggots. You can remove the surface layer (the maggots will usually be close to the surface) until you reach clean vegetables or you can compost the entire batch."

... anyone who thinks that maggots crawling in their ferment is "not as dangerous as you might think" and that you can just remove the surface layer... I'm a bit speechless.

Now, I come from a really old-fashioned traditional colonial family where we had a fridge *and* an open-air pantry - and a lot of things went in the pantry for a long period of time (cheeses, meats-to-age etc).  I know mold, I know blow-fly, I know maggots and rotting.  

And I know there's some really bad, and potentially lethal advice on that webpage for anyone who hasn't lived in a the kind of au naturel environment and doesn't know what they're doing.  Even with my background, if there are maggots in my ferment... it's going in the compost, full stop, period, no questions asked.

Just flagging this up; I think there's really, really dangerous suggestions on that webpage; esp for anyone who isn't used to any kind of non-refrigeration techniques.

Best,

James N

JamesN said:

When a web resource says "If the ferment smells just downright rotten and has a layer of mold on top, try removing the top layer and see if the entire batch has the same odor."... I say "Good Lord are you serious?"

Yeah.  Those veggie fermenters are hard core no-wasters.

Back