• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trying to decide what to grow

Other than growing regular bell peppers, jalapenoes and red chili peppers, I'm new to the hot pepper scene but really excited about expanding my gardening hobby. I've started making my list for my 2015 grow and think I know what I want, at least I know the end game. I've got plans to use the peppers to make red pepper flakes (like you get at a pizza place), hot sauce, cayenne pepper powder, paprika and chili powder. I'll also use them for cooking and salsa. Right now, I need a little help selecting a seed for the hot sauce and red pepper flakes. I'm not looking for anything super hot. I'm still new to this and trying to find my way. But, anyone on here feel like making some recommendations for the hot sauce and flakes? I'm sure you can use just about anything, but not looking for the super hot....yet.

I live in Virginia and plan to start my seeds in Jan.

Goatsweed are great for flakes, sauces, powder, etc. They are at the upper end of annuum heat but nowhere near superhot heat. One of my favs I grow every year, and on my lifetime list.

I recommend peach or yellow/orange hot varieties for great tasting sauces and powders, whether you go straight to peach bhut or pick fataliis and bahamian goats you can't go wrong trying non red peppers :)

BM let me know if there is any varities in particle you were looking to add to your list and I will see if I can help you out.

So many to choose from. A few other prolific varieties that come to mind are yellow scotch bonnets, bonda ma jacques, orange thai, lemon aji, beni highland. Perhaps fatalii and Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow (they aren't super hots but getting warmer than others listed).

yeah something yellow like aji pineapple or scotch bonnet moa (a sweeter taste)

and something chocolate like chocolate hab, choc congo (a richer taste)

and something you can show off like pimenta de neyde(cool black peppers), carolina reaper(to show off hottest in the world.. don't have to eat it)

and something you can put in a signature dish like numex varieties for green chile, ancho/poblanos for chile rellenos

there are over 200 varieties good luck choosing lol, you will always want moreee

+1 on Choco Hab and Aji Pineapple. You can't go wrong with those, both are off the charts good flavor.

I think you should add Yellow 7 pot to your list.
Its a really good pepper for putting into soups etc I think.
Its quite a hot pepper, but there's no reason you cant use a small amount. 
Even small amounts are enough to add a lovely floral flavor without insane heat.

As you see, everyone has their favorites. Personally cheyenne (anuum) types have done well for me, good yield, prolific and heat/taste was very satisfactory.
That being said, my browsing of this forum made me grow the following next year:
Yellow fatalii chinense
Goats weed anuum
Aji lemon drop (similar to aji pinapple supposedly) baccatum
And then another anuum, either jalapeno, serrano or some cheyenne.
Also got 3 plants OW attempt. Bhut jolokia, yellow compact anuum and a 'maules red' anuum

Plain ole red habaneros would work for the hot sauce.  If you don't want it really hot, put fewer in it.   It depends on whether you want pepper to be the dominant flavor or just to give it some heat.

Pizzeria style red pepper flakes are usually cayenne or other very similar varieties.

Back