• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Plastic Bottling

Hi Guys!

Now originally we wanted to use plastic squeeze bottles, but I've read somewhere that in order to do plastic squeeze bottles you had to cool the sauce for a set amount of days and add preservatives? Does anyone have any more details about this? Is the name of the preservative sodium benzoate? I would rather not add chemical preservatives, so if anyone has any idea please let me know!! However, we love the plastic bottle we had an eye on from the beginning and we're also wondering how to ship gallons of our sauce to restaurants if we're unable to put it in plastic gallons.

Hi there, I can help with this as my product is packaged in both glass - and plastic (for my 1/2 gallon jugs).
If you are packaging using a traditional "Hot Fill" method, followed by a "hot water bath" soak  (aka: poor-mans pasteurization), than It really comes down to the plastic that the bottle is made out of.

For instance, nearly all PETE bottles (which are crystal clear) have a really low melt point, and thus are no good for a hot fill and sterilization. They will actually have chemical leech as a result of hot fill, and the containers will "panel".

If you are really wanting to go plastic - than what you'll want to look for Temperature Resistant FDA certified HDPE bottles & Jugs. This is the bottle type Secret Aardvark and other manufacturers that sell all natural sauces in plastic use:  http://www.secretaardvark.com and they are a hot-fill sauce.  If you are going JUGS than search at ULINE.COM for HDPE FDA UTILITY JUGS and there are a variety of options.

That being said, all plastic you MUST STERILIZE MORE CAREFULLY than glass.  Bacterial agents can cling to plastic way easier... and if you do not follow HACCP sterilization rules for plastic, or have never heard of such thing -- you are not ready to use plastic. I highly recommend you find a copacker that would know how to hot-fill your plastic and maintain sterility.

If you really are hell-bent at trying it yourself - here are the basics:

1) you'll be doing a submerged Hot-Soak of the empty  jugs / bottles in a  Bleach/water solution above 180 degrees (recommendation is a 10% bleach / distilled water bath for 10 minutes)

2)  You will then do a STEAM RINSE preferably (or a 190 degree water rinse)

3)  You will then immediately HOT FILL of that bottle (160-180 degrees product temp) within a a 3-5 second interval after your rinse (time is critical to prevent air contamination - the goal is that the expanding hot air still in the bottle is preventing environmental air from entering).  

4) After you hot-fill you will IMMEDIATELY seal and return the bottle to a separate and FINAL 180 degree hot water bath for 10 more minutes to heat up any air pockets you introduced.

5) Cool and Label

6) Air quality control must be maintained and HACCP procedures followed throughout.

Plastic is no joke, botulism / yeasts / MRSA and other biologicals love to attach to it. I'd honestly think of finding a hot-fill copackager that works with HDPE rather than do it alone... food safety is critical.

Back