• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How do i make "hot" hot sauce?

I recently had another thread stating that a lot of sauce i get is not hot enough for me and that i had carolina reaper for me. But someone replied saying that it matters what is mixed with it. Because me and my friend are trying to get stuff hotter and hotter everytime we eat hot stuff.

I figured out that after when i used: 
"Reaper sling blade hot sauce" from- cajohns fiery foods company

and then i tried:
"357 scorpion" from- Mad Dog 

and there was a huge difference in the heat, the scorpion sauce was hotter then reaper sauce.

The scorpion sauce had:
Vinegar, evaporated cane juice, trinidad scorpion, ghost pepper, garlic, onion, peri peri pepper, spices and xanthan gum.

But the carolina reaper sauce had:
carolina reaper, ghost pepper, apple cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, tomatoe paste, lemon juice, onion, garlic, salt, and spices.

But ive never made hot sauce before so i wanted to know what i can do to make my own "fiery hot" hot sauces because im a person who loves the heat from the sauces.

That's cool it's all good!! :) your just getting into your grove. Stay lose be cool put on some Blues kick back and hit the hot sauce making forum hard give fermenting 101 a peep as well tons of serious info. Then work out a base sauce and run it by the members and hot sauce perfection will soon be in your grasp !
And welcome aboard shipmate :)
CHEERS

I suggest getting two quarts of super hot chilies, that are at least cut in half.  Put them in a blender and use a 5% brine to get it to meld and make a mash. Put it in a quart mason jar leaving an 1" from the top. Cap it off. Shake it every day for the first two weeks. In two months take it out, bring to a simmer for around 20 minutes and put through the blender again. If it isn't the texture you life, i.e. too thick, just add a tbl of white vinegar until it is. Bottle and consume.

Ingredients have to be listed on the label in descending order of predominance, but that still doesn't mean a lot. 

Let's look at the above examples-
The scorpion sauce had:
Vinegar, evaporated cane juice, trinidad scorpion, ghost pepper, garlic, onion, peri peri pepper, spices and xanthan gum.

But the carolina reaper sauce had:
carolina reaper, ghost pepper, apple cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, tomatoe paste, lemon juice, onion, garlic, salt, and spices.

In the reaper sauce, it could be
16% reaper
16% ghost 
15% cider vin
15% white vin
15% tom paste
10% lemon jc
10% onion
3% garlic, salt, spices

Chiles only account for 32% of the (theoretical) sauce, so yea...it won't be as hot as you would expect.  I have no idea what the exact measurements for that Carolina Reaper sauce are, but this demonstrates how a sauce with the first 2 ingredients are hot chiles can still not be that hot.   

-OR- it could be ...
40% reaper
40% ghost
6% cider vin
5% white vin
4% tom pst
3% onion
2% salt and other

Both recipes = 100%, but there is a huge difference in the amount of chiles.  And both recipes are legal as far as how the ingredients are listed on the label.   

For the MadDog sauce- it could be-
18% vinegar
17% cane juice
16% scorp
16% bhut
10% garlic
9% onion
8% periperi
6% spices and other

So for this sauce, total peppers =40% of the sauce, but because the peppers are different they are listed individually. 

I've not tried either of the sauces mentioned above, so I can't offer a first hand description of what they might be.  But hopefully this will help you understand sauces and ingredients and how you can't really look at the label and discern how hot it will be or should be. 

Try some fresh superhot chiles and see how they do for lighting you up.  If they work, there are tons of recipes at pepperfool.com as well as here.  Just substitute the superhot chiles for habaneros and you should be in a good range.

Good Luck!

salsalady hit it spot on, it's a matter of the ratios. Look at her examples they explain it all Yes, using hotter peppers versus milder peppers matters but if your using only 2 percent of a Super Hot don't expect much of a change. When I make a sauce I'll use 60 to 70 percent pepper's to other ingredients.

recipes?

i just wing it ;)

more peppers = more hotter, it's quite simple.....

my yellow sauce was 2 1-gallon ziplocks of peppers.....one mango, one papaya

in a big sauce pan.....enough vinegar until the peppers started to float....then i added about half again as much water

agave doesn't go in until blended and strained

it came out plenty hot.....it was mostly fatali & devil's tongue, with a few brain strains and some "others" in there......i think it may have in fact some out hotter than my chocolate which was mostly brown morugas & carmel bhuts, simply because the pepper to 'other' ratio was higher with the yellow.....

Nope, I agree with RocketMan recipes are very important especially weights and measures. When you produce that perfect sauce I want to make sure I have all my info so I can make the same sauce over and over, and not make the same mistake when making a recipe I haven't done in a while. Which I've done on recipes before can't remember if I added two or 3 tbsp o f ginger turns out I stopped using ginger in that recipe all together.
Hate that. Especially as y'all get older! :)

Well you can wing it until you want to repeat the recipe. Then you are screwed.

It's easy to write it down as you go. You are still winging it, but keeping a log.

i tend to wing it when i cook....unless baking

i don't really repeat recipes......my sauces each year are "red" or "yellow" or "orange"......i tweak the recipe on whim, or based on the mix of peppers i have

not the smartest, probably, but it is how i tend to do things......i have the basic in my head, and surf the rest

i used to do beef jerky, and i tended to do it the same

the only thing i really make sure of is my pH.....everything gets tested......but i am not big on replication lol

i teach middle school......so surfing the wave of chaos tends to be a personality trait......

Jeff H said:
I recommend AJ's puree recipe if you want a really hot sauce. Nothing but Reapers or Scorpions.
Yes, this makes an excellent base so you can experiment in smaller batches. That way if one of your trials is a complete bomb you're only throwing away a cupful and not a full pot.

AJ's is how I like my hot sauce. No pears, no onions, no carrots... peppers.

You want to add peppers and heat to your dishes? There you go.

Back