• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Savina... and Sukari, while we're at it.

Newbie question. I've got loads of seeds. Too many. ...largely due to the generosity of folks here. Last one I "need" for 2015 is Red Savina. What's the legality of trading or selling those these days? I know at some point they had restrictions on them similar to Carolina Reaper these days. Do they still? If not, does anyone have some to trade?

I've all but given up on Sukari unless someone out there has them. Can't find them anywhere. Pepperlover is sold out.

Thanks!

Well, according to the US patent office, the patent on "Red Savina" has expired, so there is no legal problem that I am aware of. Now I've seen some people list it as an F1 hybrid, but that patent for it was not for a hybrid, so I'm not sure how accurate that information is.

There is a trademark for "Red Savina" but it shouldn't be for the seeds/plants as you can't trademark a plant variety name. I haven't dug into that one, yet.

Wow, I know I ended at least two sentences incorrectly, but I don't care, at all.

Orekoc said:
Well, according to the US patent office, the patent on "Red Savina" has expired, so there is no legal problem that I am aware of. Now I've seen some people list it as an F1 hybrid, but that patent for it was not for a hybrid, so I'm not sure how accurate that information is.

There is a trademark for "Red Savina" but it shouldn't be for the seeds/plants as you can't trademark a plant variety name. I haven't dug into that one, yet.

Wow, I know I ended at least two sentences incorrectly, but I don't care, at all.
Ha. Your grammar is OK with me. I figured Red Savina was pretty widely grown but I haven't seen it on many traders' lists.
Thanks for the insight.

i'm pretty sure most of the people who do trades on here are not worried about patent / trademark / copyright, only really need to worry if you are going commercial.

buckeye and semillas have it, if u can't find someone to trade.

juanitos said:
i'm pretty sure most of the people who do trades on here are not worried about patent / trademark / copyright, only really need to worry if you are going commercial.

buckeye and semillas have it, if u can't find someone to trade.
It was more a plea to initiate a trade without sounding like a seed pirate.  ;)
Being newish around here, I don't know who's lurking around & if the creator of the Red Savina has the same reputation other entrepreneurial pepper crossers have.
Thanks.

look up Lunch Box on here. He grew some superfantastic Red Savinas last year or year before. He is a nice guy, tell him I sent you if you want. He might be able to help you.

Back