• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Scotch Bonnet Recipe...Thanks, RocketMan!

Roguejim said:
I've been wanting to make a Scotch Bonnet sauce without the typical mango.  Other than the jalapenos, which I don't see much reason for, what about the proportions in the rest of the recipe?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Scotch-Bonnet-Hot-Sauce/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=scotch%20bonnet&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

The jalapenos will add a flavor and heat profile to the sauce even though the scotch bonnets will seem to over power them. None the less they will be there.
However, if you proceed the way you are leaning, It will be exactly that, a (scotch bonnet sauce) with no other flavors to balance the sauce. I would consider at least brown sugar rather than plain sugar as it will add a boldness up front and the scotch bonnet flavors will burst through the lingering richness of the brown sugar. 6 cloves of garlic seems awfully garlicky, and I like garlic. The proportions seem alright it will depend on the cooking for 20 minutes. It doesn't specify simmer or rolling boil and that will have a lot to do with remaining fluid content. They also dont seem to know what they are talking about as seeds do not add heat to the sauce. I  now wonder if they have really ever made it.

RJ - 

I see no reason for the oil or saute step - can add all ingredients directly to sauce pan and simmer till soft enough to blend.  Recipe does not likely contain enough acids to be shelf stable, so its a refer only sauce.  Agree with CAPCOM that the jalas are there for body and depth of flavor - can easily replace with sweet peppers or any other pepper.  Also agree with Salty when he says carrot would do well in the recipe.  You're right that it's a lot of scotch bonnets, but then again its a scotch bonnet sauce.  :)

As written the recipe seems that it will be hot and one dimensional; lacking some depth.  SB are paired with mango so often because the flavors match up nicely.  Feel free to pull mango and replace with other fruits like pineapple or citrus, apples, pears or even melon will work.  The fruit is less important than the sugar and pulp, which will help balance the sauce and provide body.   

Side note:  My main gripe w All Recipes Reviews is that most of the time absolutely NO ONE follows the recipe exactly - yet they still review it and critique said recipe.  Most recipe reviews on that site are near worthless due to the substitutions!  /rant

If you want a sauce that tastes like SB, I reccomend trying my recipe for red sauce linked below. It's what got me addicted to peppers when I tried it with  SB instead of jalapenos. Now it's not the type of sauce you're talking about (vinegar), but with 4 simple ingredients the flavor comes out so much more than anything. I always have a jar on hand in the fridge to put on anything and everything, especially chile rellenos, eggs, enchiladas. 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51383-red-sauce-that-works-with-anything-especially-chile-rellenos/?hl=rellenos

I don't think thats to much scotch bonnets in the recipe at all. I make habanero sauce all the time with 20 or so peppers and its great.

In fact I just got 15 Chocolate Scotch Bonnets from TexasHotPeppers and I will make this recipe using them. I also have the fresh jalapeno's on one of my plants that I can use. I will let you know how it goes. I will make it this Monday on my day off.

Ok, looks like a pretty basic recipe but I more of an out of the box guy. When I add an ingredient to a sauce I want it to enhance the basic flavor profile I have in mind for that sauce and if I'm making a regionaly based sauce I want to stick to typical ingredients to that region. So, here's what I'd do with that one.

1. Leave out the oil. Oil will go rancid and kill your sauce.
2. Leave the Jalapeños in. As stated they add to without taking away from the character of the sauce. If nothing else make a batch with and one without and see the difference.
3. I'd add a quarter to a half of a sweet potato to it. It will give the sauce some more depth and add a really nice consistency to it.
4 No White Sugar, use some golden raisens instead for a touch of sweetness. You'll be amazed at what they'll do to a sauce.
5. Rice Vinegar not white vinegar. It will give you the sour and low oh but not try to take over the flavor of your sauce.

Just for fun try adding s shot of good Rum to it.

JMHO, Bro :cool:
RM

RocketMan said:
Ok, looks like a pretty basic recipe but I more of an out of the box guy. When I add an ingredient to a sauce I want it to enhance the basic flavor profile I have in mind for that sauce and if I'm making a regionaly based sauce I want to stick to typical ingredients to that region. So, here's what I'd do with that one.

2. Leave the Jalapeños in. As stated they add to without taking away from the character of the sauce. If nothing else make a batch with and one without and see the difference.
3. I'd add a quarter to a half of a sweet potato to it. It will give the sauce some more depth and add a really nice consistency to it.
4 No White Sugar, use some golden raisens instead for a touch of sweetness. You'll be amazed at what they'll do to a sauce.
5. Rice Vinegar not white vinegar. It will give you the sour and low oh but not try to take over the flavor of your sauce.

RM
I'm making this on Monday. What do you thing about brown sugar ? If not I will use agave nectar or honey as a sweetener.

That recipe was off the hook I used 1 1/2 cups of water, apple cider vinegar and 3 tbs of brown sugar. It tastes amazing. I used the 15 Chocolate Scotch Bonnets that I had and 6 Jalepeno's from my garden. I also added a few ripe red serrano's from my plant.

Th pH on my sauce is 3.62. 

Attachments

• cooking.jpg
    cooking.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
  • cooked sauce finished.jpg
    cooked sauce finished.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 44
  • cooked and jarred.jpg
    cooked and jarred.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 51
RocketMan said:

RM
 Thanks RM.  Just bought all the ingredients, except I'll have to settle for regular raisins.  Bulk bin was out at Farmer's Mkt.  I'll post a photo today, or tomorrow.

Back