• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

An idea for next spring

Well after looking at this years garden it doesnt look to good..Problems with tiller,lack of pots to re-reansplant wrong dirt hell the list goes on lol If there was something I could do wrong I did it..I just got my garden in 4 days ago and im very discouraged at this point.(the only plants that look good are the ones I started and they are still way behind most of you all)I forgot to mention the plants potawie gave me they kick ass)..I had an idea for next spring I can get plastic sheeting by the tonne for free.I was thinking for the first few months ..lets say april as an example..I plant but then steak out the whole garden line the steaks with plastic sheeting then (which all can be pulled out and rolled up later in the season)..
Now for the roof Im thinking something that can be taken off in sections and foldable but still can take the frost...once again plastic sheeting.....By buddy can design that..kinda like a greenhouse over the garden My question is am I thinking for nothing or does this sound like it can work??

Glad to see the plants I gave you are well. I'm not sure about your design, but do you have a sunny spot against your house where you could make a cold frame?

Canuk,

I don't see why it can't, but I don't know your nighttime temps and what kind of heat you are using.

From my expereinces as a farmer (not a pepper grower), most seeds that sprout can survive just about anything if the frost doesn't hit them - except temps in the 20s or so.

Pam talked about setting up bottles of water along a wall inside her greenhouse where the sun could warm them during the day and then keep the place a bit warmer of a night. Dark rocks scattered around would do the same thing.

We sowed tobacco beds (with tomatoes in one end) in early March and they were usually up by the end of the month. They were covered with a cotton and even though I'm sure we dipped below 30 degrees several times over the years, they never suffered.

But food for thought: I just planted about 50 tomato plants two weeks ago. They are doing great and though I probably won't have any ripe fruit for six weeks, I should still have bushels to sell. Those 1" x 2" by 2.5" seed trays can grow a decent size rootball - one tighter than you can imagine, that take a whole day or so to take root and start growing. You can grow 72 plants in an approximately 11" x 21" space or 144 in a 2 foot square area. Your time from transplant to first harvest would likely be 45-60 days, depending on the plant - presuming they spend 45 days after germination growing in the trays. If your frost free date is June 1, that would give you ripe pods or toms by mid-July. If your frost free date is two weeks later, you could defininately transplant them to the greenhouse and I would think get away without needing any supplemental heat.

Mike

Back