• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Fermentation Obsession Continues

Now that I'm making my first hot sauce fermentation I thought that I would give some cucumbers,garlic,jalapeno, serrano and carrots a try at the fermentation thing and see how they turn out. These are quart jars. My hot sauce is in a 1/2 gallon jar.

Attachments

• jar.jpg
    jar.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 40
  • jar2.jpg
    jar2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
  • jar3.jpg
    jar3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 33
We do very similar things at our house SR.  Love love them!  You'll note the brine will start to 'cloud up' a few days in - its perfectly normal.  I normally only run them at room temp for 4-8 days - best part is fishing a few out of the jar to taste test.  Once I'm happy with where the pickles are at they go into the fridge and never last very long.  Obsession is right!

The cloudy one I started 2 days ago. The other 2 jars I made today. The cloudy one has black tea leaves and an airlock and the other 2 have 2 grape leaves I picked today from a neighbors grape vines lol :). I heard the "tannins" from the grape leaves/black tea leaves help keep the veggies crisp. I also picked up some fresh dill at trader joes today for the other 2 jars.

Those LOOK mighty tasty!!!!! You're on a roll SR!!! :)
SmokenFire said:
We do very similar things at our house SR.  Love love them!  You'll note the brine will start to 'cloud up' a few days in - its perfectly normal.  I normally only run them at room temp for 4-8 days - best part is fishing a few out of the jar to taste test.  Once I'm happy with where the pickles are at they go into the fridge and never last very long.  Obsession is right!
Hey smoke I've had some pickle ferments get soft on the end sometimes turn all mushy but still have some decent ones in the jar as well. Left them out for 12 days is this my mistake? Thanks Smoke!! :)

Lookin good SR! In addition to clouding up, your garlic might turn blue/green. Perfectly normal.

Man you like to fill those jars! :lol: 

oldsalty said:

Hey smoke I've had some pickle ferments get soft on the end sometimes turn all mushy but still have some decent ones in the jar as well. Left them out for 12 days is this my mistake? Thanks Smoke!! :)

Are you trimming off the blossom-ends of the cuke? Also, the grape leaf technique works great. I pickle in gallon jars and leave them on the counter. I eat crisp pickles for months.

oldsalty said:

Agree w DR on the blossom end and grape leaf trick!  I don't let ours go for that long OS - and I find we get the best results using whole cukes.  spears tend to get mushy.

Cool brothers I like the whole cuke as well!! Were do I buy grape leaf ? And how much do I add to pickling brine? Thanks DownRiver and SmokenFire!! And Grant thank you as well sir for looking out for a fellow chili head!
CHEERS

I've read that just the plain salt brine ferment will keep the veggies crisp. I will let you know next week as I will crack one of the jars open and try one. I just made another 1/2 gallon jar of jalapenos, serranos, thai's,bishops crown, garlic, cucumbers and carrots. 

Attachments

• jar.JPG
    jar.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 27
Back