• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

blender for powders

I know this has beeno discussed before but can not find the thread. Does anyone have any suggestions on a blender to make powders from dehydrated peppers. What is everyone using thats works for them?

$15 coffee bean grinder is what I've been using. Pulse it a few times and give it a few shakes in between to give you a nice even grind. It doesn't hold as much as the magic bullet (I have one and love it), but a bean grinder does the trick at a much cheaper price.

Neil

I second the Magic Bullet.  I bought one this year and regret not doing so much earlier.  Started with a Slap-Chop, then an Ultimate Chopper, then up to the Magic Bullet.  My only suggestion to you is to make sure the top/cup, is sealed on its own.  The Ultimate Chopper was not, so while busting up my peppers, powder seeped into every crevice and exhausted and radiated throughout the house.  I bust up cup by cup then when all done, add them all together and give it one last blast, then off to my strainer to remove any larger than powder particles.

If you have an old blender laying around, unscrew the bottom and attach it to a mason jar. Works great for me. Best part is you can take it off the blender,flip it over and just let the dust settle, unscrew and add more peppers and repeat. Helps cut back on the pepper dust.

CAPCOM said:
I have a 28 year old Black and Decker electric coffee grinder that works as good as the day I got it. Run it long enough and it just about vaporizes pods.
The age is the key here. Black and Decker used to be a reliable brand. Nowadays I won't buy it as it won't last as long. Not even 1/4 as long. 

After burning up 5 cheap (Krupps and the like) coffee grinders, about once a year, I fianally broke down and bought the Waring spice grinder. I've had it for 6 years now I think. You can put 5 WHOLE Nutmegs in this badboy. It does pepper flakes to fine fine fine powder. Yeah buddy.

View attachment 16919

Scoville DeVille said:
After burning up 5 cheap (Krupps and the like) coffee grinders, about once a year, I fianally broke down and bought the Waring spice grinder. I've had it for 6 years now I think. You can put 5 WHOLE Nutmegs in this badboy. It does pepper flakes to fine fine fine powder. Yeah buddy.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
That looks really pro!

pepperjosh said:
great thanks everybody. i got the magic bullet for xmas and wanted to get everyones thoughts. Think its the the right tool for the job.
Why didn't you lead with that? Asking for suggestions when you already have one? :banghead:

CAPCOM said:
I have a 28 year old Black and Decker electric coffee grinder that works as good as the day I got it. Run it long enough and it just about vaporizes pods.

Which makes the dust so much easier to inhale! ;)

Yea, any spice or coffee grinder should do the trick.  As for a drier, the ghetto solution of a frying pan on a hot plate works well enough, particularly if you slide the pods open.

pepperjosh said:
great thanks everybody. i got the magic bullet for xmas and wanted to get everyones thoughts. Think its the the right tool for the job.

Yup that will do just fine!

Back