• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Poop talk

I don't know how to tag a person.  In another forum, sicman mentioned having lots of critters producing fertalizer.  I have same.  Lots of poop.  Thought I would share how I use it and see what others do.

I till it into one half of the garden, then grow corn in that half.  Nothing touches the ground and I distribute it thin enough not to burn.  The next year, no poop to that area and shorter crops.  That year, the poop goes to another area where the corn will grow that year.  Thing is, most of the poop is from the previous year so by the time I use it, it is already decomposing.  I think that using poop right out the critter will probably burn roots.

I started with like 2 inches of top soil and then clay or rocks (Kentucky norm).  By doing this each year and tilling the left over plant material under, I now have rows which are plenty deep with rich soil. 

Not sure, just seems like a bad idea.  So how do you use your critter poop?

i get horse manure from the stable down the street and add it in every fall, and sometimes in the spring. i'll quit putting any manure in the garden 2 months or so before I plant, and till once or twice before I plant too. the pile I get it from is about 8 feet tall, so I dig into the bottom for the really broken down stuff, not the round "apples" that are fresh.

Back