• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Lollipops (Cinnamon Ghost Pepper)

I thought I'd try my hand at lollipops.  I made this batch of cinnamon ghost pepper lollipops last night.  They came out so good that I ordered some skull molds for the next batch.

-Alden

20141228_180758_zpswqa0xrr2.jpg

chsy83 said:
How hot are they?

They will get your attention.  The immediate hit is to the back of your throat, if you leave them in longer then the tongue and lips start to burn.  I just followed a lollipop recipe that I found, it had a cup of sugar, and a half cup of Karo syrup.  I added a teaspoon of ghost powder to that.

-Alden

Where do I send my address to you.  Loving them.  Would it be possible to post the link or instructions/recipe for your suckers as I was wanting to make a batch myself.  Thank you.

oh yeah .... that rocks
recipe please ...
I always thought about making candy or lollipops. A good way to use some chili powder.

Here's the recipe I followed.

http://candy.about.com/od/sugarcandy/r/lollypops.htm

I used wilton candy flavoring, just a drop or two because it is very concentrated.  The first batch I used a teaspoon of ghost powder, that was a little over the top.  Second batch I used a quarter teaspoon, that's still plenty hot but tolerable.

It's really quick to make, the hardest part is cleaning up the hardened candy afterwards.  I found that if I put water in the pot and boil it that dissolves the remaining candy and makes it easy to get rid of.

-Alden

Those are pretty cool!

You should check out the company smooth-on, they are a company that makes mold/resin stuff. They have some food safe silicone that you could use to make your own molds. I have a bit that I was planning on making some molds of hot peppers to make chocolate with.

spysee said:
Those are pretty cool!

You should check out the company smooth-on, they are a company that makes mold/resin stuff. They have some food safe silicone that you could use to make your own molds. I have a bit that I was planning on making some molds of hot peppers to make chocolate with.
sounds cool. Just don't forget to incorporate the peppers into the chocolate!

I found pepper molds for chocolate, they just couldn't handle the heat of the hard candy so they have warnings not to use them for that.  I will take a look at them though if I can make custom molds that could be fun!

-Alden

Ok.  Update.  I tried tonight.  FAIL!!!!!  I think I just found where I went wrong.  Well, firstly, an hour and fifteen minutes now, the ol' lady is still coughing and hacking and in between both while trying to breathe, I am still getting yelled at.  "It's not funny, don't laugh, etc, etc...."  Who said I was laughing, out loud anyways.  So, I was told I need a hot plate and I am banished to the garage.  We'll see about that!  Anyways, picked up a candy thermometer, followed the directions, but think I took it off too late.  I saw the color change, but my thermometer was still not there, so left it on at the 'boil'.  As soon as it hit the magic 295, I removed it from the heat, but it was already a very dark brown color.  I think that it was already well above the magic temperature, but the thermometer was still just climbing.  This is when the magic happened, I added 1/8 teaspoon powder to the mix, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon oil as called for.  I did have the range hood on high and the pot directly under it.  So while she is at work next Thursday, I WILL do it again, and IN the house!  If you think I missed something, or if you feel my post is invading on your topic, just let me know and I will remove it.  Thank you. 

Recipe I followed was this:

http://candy.about.com/od/specialoccasions/r/heartpops.htm

Recipe is pretty much as you had done, except that it called for 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon oil in which I used.

I think the temperature is the key.  I have a very accurate digital thermometer that I use for my smoker, I used that instead of a traditional candy thermometer.  I wait until after it has come to temp and then cooled down a little before adding the flavorings and ghost pepper.  They say to wait until it stops bubbling but I haven't been able to wait that long...

-Alden

Back