• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Juanitos 2015 grow

Intro
Besides just fun this year I hope to sell enough to make this hobby pay for itself. If you see something you like I will probably be selling plants or pods at some point in the year, check my website.

I really would like to do hydro dutch buckets in a poly tunnel but don't have enough money/space this year. My dad offered me his small garden plot in the his backyard across town it's about 400+ ft2 so that will be the main grow for 2015 instead of pots like last year(although i'll have a few still).

Updates: links to most notable updates here
germination / into pots
video update seedlings
transplanted outside
drip irrigation test
Some pods showing up

List:
A good variety of heat, flavor, color, and shape that I think will be very pleasing. It's a bit overwhelming to have all these varieties to keep track of and hopefully my wife doesn't kill me. I cut out anums and fruct and wilds so i could better focus my list. Jals and Poblanos are really cheap at the mexican store near me so there is not much point in growing them myself anyway.

puaiQjP.png

and lucy, maybe forgot a couple, its 31 varieties.

Equipment:
Lights:
For starting the seeds until last freeze they will be under DIY led bars i made. Going for efficiency here.
Containers:
8oz deli containers for seed starting
3in pots for sprouts
1020 trays to hold pots and help me water quicker
ground, viagrow grow bags 5 or 3 gal for extra potted plants
Fan:
Holmes oscillating 3ft fan.
Fertigation:
Mixrite 1% fertilizer injector
orbit timer
drip line or drip hose(haven't decided yet)

Area:
indoors: two diy grow shelf 4x4x2 pushed together lined with reflectix insulation (pic1, pic2)
outdoors: garden plot (link a pic here)

Media:
indoors: berger.ca custom mix(from local nursery) 25% bark, rice hulls, peat, etc
outdoors: topsoil/clay, no analysis

Fertilizer:
leftover dynagrow pro foliage
Masterblend 4-18-38 + MGSO + CANO (see comparison)

Really good job on making your own lighting system dude! It worked out pretty cheap too.
Will they be the lights you use until the plants are ready to go outside?

Update 0: Germinating...
so this year i'm using 8oz deli containers i got off amazon, i'm kinda copying (learning) from mike @ buckeyepepper.
Why instead of just using plastic bags? i think it gives the sprouts a little more room to grow( some of them get the cotys out in the container). This is handy if i'm slow about transplanting since i have like 200+ plants to transplant.

vo0IADS.jpg

BDEH68T.jpg

oh and i started these ones way too early lol.
white habs
Bw4bxU5.jpg

reapers
wFaZKeV.jpg

PaulS said:

Really good job on making your own lighting system dude! It worked out pretty cheap too.
Will they be the lights you use until the plants are ready to go outside?
yup

Great looking start. I'm going to try the same thing this year and try to make a little cash to help pay for the hobby. I'm in an area with a lot of opportunity, no one selling plants or pods hotter than habanero around here. Hope everything works out and hope you have a very successful 2015

compare the new lights in the front, old lights in the back.
much more spread out,, look at the 2nd pic you can see some of the white habs were leaning... think this may be because the old lights were too focused...
more light it seems..(can be tricky since different wavelength)
NOCPh83.jpg

reapers
1BlAmL9.jpg

Q6rGreM.jpg

white habs
jmJlRZR.jpg

I checked my lights and they have been on 24/7 for the past few weeks... oops lol. I meant to set 18/6 schedule on my timer but left it set to "always on".
For the few timelapses i've seen it looks like pepper plants rest / grow a lot in the dark time so i'm hoping the guys i started early look even better.

http://youtu.be/eKM9vsCNe8Q

Looking good juanitos. But wondering what the temp is in your box? How do you get the seeds to germinate? Do you have a heat source in there? And what is your soil mixture again? Looks good.

bucdout57 said:
Looking good juanitos. But wondering what the temp is in your box? How do you get the seeds to germinate? Do you have a heat source in there? And what is your soil mixture again? Looks good.
i have a heater in there as my shed isn't heated. It averages around 80F.
just container + papertowel + water + seeds.. then let it sit.
soil is like 25% pine bark 25% peat moss 10% perlite 25% ricehulls (i'm just guessing) I got it from a local nursery it's a custom mix.

Back