• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Juanitos 2015 grow

Intro
Besides just fun this year I hope to sell enough to make this hobby pay for itself. If you see something you like I will probably be selling plants or pods at some point in the year, check my website.

I really would like to do hydro dutch buckets in a poly tunnel but don't have enough money/space this year. My dad offered me his small garden plot in the his backyard across town it's about 400+ ft2 so that will be the main grow for 2015 instead of pots like last year(although i'll have a few still).

Updates: links to most notable updates here
germination / into pots
video update seedlings
transplanted outside
drip irrigation test
Some pods showing up

List:
A good variety of heat, flavor, color, and shape that I think will be very pleasing. It's a bit overwhelming to have all these varieties to keep track of and hopefully my wife doesn't kill me. I cut out anums and fruct and wilds so i could better focus my list. Jals and Poblanos are really cheap at the mexican store near me so there is not much point in growing them myself anyway.

puaiQjP.png

and lucy, maybe forgot a couple, its 31 varieties.

Equipment:
Lights:
For starting the seeds until last freeze they will be under DIY led bars i made. Going for efficiency here.
Containers:
8oz deli containers for seed starting
3in pots for sprouts
1020 trays to hold pots and help me water quicker
ground, viagrow grow bags 5 or 3 gal for extra potted plants
Fan:
Holmes oscillating 3ft fan.
Fertigation:
Mixrite 1% fertilizer injector
orbit timer
drip line or drip hose(haven't decided yet)

Area:
indoors: two diy grow shelf 4x4x2 pushed together lined with reflectix insulation (pic1, pic2)
outdoors: garden plot (link a pic here)

Media:
indoors: berger.ca custom mix(from local nursery) 25% bark, rice hulls, peat, etc
outdoors: topsoil/clay, no analysis

Fertilizer:
leftover dynagrow pro foliage
Masterblend 4-18-38 + MGSO + CANO (see comparison)

juanitos said:
i have a heater in there as my shed isn't heated. It averages around 80F.
just container + papertowel + water + seeds.. then let it sit.
soil is like 25% pine bark 25% peat moss 10% perlite 25% ricehulls (i'm just guessing) I got it from a local nursery it's a custom mix.
Okay thanks looks really nice. Thanks again. Plants looking good by the way.

How deep are those shelves? Seems like you'd have to crawl back in the back to get there. :)

Larger plants only 5-6 weeks old? Sheesh... from the time of starting the seed or not counting germination? 

Looks good.

4` I pull them apart to service.

Not really ideal but works perfect. I had the shelf as 8ft tall before I thought about how I would keep fan on the shelves. So I cut it in half and pushed em next to eachother.
Im redoing shelving in my shed this year so I'll make better setup for the plants.

PS why u no respond pm foo

Looking great dude. Thats some pretty agressive pruning/topping, I'm sure it will work out great, it's so hard to cut back your babies!

Right on, Juanitos!  Great start to the 2015 season!  
Looks like you have your system/set-up dialed in, buddy!

I enjoy following your glog. It looks like you have your all you seedlings/plants in 4" pots (18 per tray). Do you keep them there all the way until planting out, and simply top, prune and keep fertilized? I have almost 200 in 4 inch pots, and am thinking about letting them stay put this time - but I don't want to stunt them either.

15856168934_b3fee25925_c.jpg

Ozzy2001 said:
Nice. Looks good. With LEDs, do they not have to be as close as fluorescent bulbs?
they really don't have to be as close as people say, 1-2 ft is fine., either with flouros , CFL , or leds, they probably work better close, but when you get lots of plants it would be a hassle to move them.. lazyness wins lol.

Here's an update on my desk peppers
wn1Q2wm.jpg

MMtJCdv.jpg

6TFhcxl.jpg

hottoddy said:
I enjoy following your glog. It looks like you have your all you seedlings/plants in 4" pots (18 per tray). Do you keep them there all the way until planting out, and simply top, prune and keep fertilized? I have almost 200 in 4 inch pots, and am thinking about letting them stay put this time - but I don't want to stunt them either.
3.5in pots 18 per tray, from greenhousemegastore

yeah i leave them in there till i can plant out, i think when you do your transplant they will be pretty rootbound i found it is necessary to break up the roots / cut / spread them out. I didn't do this to a couple and they were stunted and didn't grow fast.

Back