• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Smoked infused pepper salts

I was looking at how to make pepper infused salts for smoking fish and meats but was unsure if I smoke the peppers and blend it with the salt or smoke the salt with the dried pepper powder. I saw some ware on the forums about someone smoking salt and it sounded really good to use as salt for salt salmon. Any insight on this is appreciated. 

Several ways, but I always smoke my peppers first.

Current batch was smoked, dehrdrated till almost dry, ground into a slightly damp powder, and mixed with sea salt.

Quite by accident, it turned out *just right* with no further drying required.

The mix was a  2/3 (2 of 3 racks) full little chief smoker of peppers reasonably spaced and 2 pounds salt.

This stuff goes on everything, and if I don't hide it, it goes away in a hurry.

Everyone wants some after trying it, and 2 pounds doesn't go far giving a bunch away.

I'm not the only one, and several methods are used.

Gotrox said:
Several ways, but I always smoke my peppers first.

Current batch was smoked, dehrdrated till almost dry, ground into a slightly damp powder, and mixed with sea salt.

Quite by accident, it turned out *just right* with no further drying required.

The mix was a  2/3 (2 of 3 racks) full little chief smoker of peppers reasonably spaced and 2 pounds salt.

This stuff goes on everything, and if I don't hide it, it goes away in a hurry.

Everyone wants some after trying it, and 2 pounds doesn't go far giving a bunch away.

I'm not the only one, and several methods are used.
Thank you!  I'm trying to make salmon sushi utilizing salted infused smoke peppers. I would prefer to use salmon that is salt cure as opposed to smoked salmon. Different texture and profile I'm trying to create once its deep fried. Thanks a bunch for the info!

wayright said:
You outright smoke your sea salt

Then if you mix it with pepper you now have a blend,,not infused

infusion is a totally different process,with a totally different flavor profile

Kevin
Thank you Kevin for the info.  Any recommendations for the type of wood chips to use for smoking. That salt you have there looks awesome! I am using the salt primarily to drain all of the water out of the salmon. It usually takes about 4 to 5 days to draw all the water out. 

Aaron

organic pepper said:
Thank you Kevin for the info.  Any recommendations for the type of wood chips to use for smoking. That salt you have there looks awesome! I am using the salt primarily to drain all of the water out of the salmon. It usually takes about 4 to 5 days to draw all the water out. 

Aaron

I love Apple and Cherry for sea salt,,Apple is a bit of a stronger smoke,,Cherry is sweet and mildly smoky..

Thinking Cherry would be awesome for fish,,leaving behind a wonderful smokiness that will stay with the salmon

:cool:
Kevin

I messed around last night and made a salt/spice blend and everyone really liked it. I used Mediterranean Sea Salt, Red Savina Smoked Pepper, Black Pepper, Ground Onion and Garlic. 

My first time smoking salt.
20150116_1603541.jpg

20150116_1604301.jpg

20150116_1603281.jpg

I tossed in some Habs just for munching on. They tasted really good!
I forgot to take a pic when it was all done. To busy eating the habs while dipping them in the salt and drinking beer. :drooling:

That's an awesome rig you got there! I'm waiting for a day off so I can start drying peppers and playing around with blends that my less tolerant family can enjoy with me. How did yours turn out? Did you use it as planned?

twilliams386 said:
That's an awesome rig you got there! I'm waiting for a day off so I can start drying peppers and playing around with blends that my less tolerant family can enjoy with me. How did yours turn out? Did you use it as planned?
Thanks, It's coming out great so far. I'll try to get a pic of it the next time I'm at my cousin's house where we are salting up the salmon. I think The next batch I make needs more peppers blended in with the salt but,I'll see how this one goes first. Several neighbors came by saw what I was doing that day and just recently they were smoking salt as well. I just had to laugh at that. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Sprinkle them.
So since then i found it best to use them as their name suggests when finishing the meal. I tried cooking with them from the begining of the recipe and found much of the flavour is lost. Right at the end before i take it out of the pan works best for me.

Back