• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Anyone a Glider Pilot?

So I have been working on a new hobby that struck me even more than hot peppers(I know, I know, bite my tongue!!) and that is soaring. Soaring is flying gliders without engines, riding thermals to gain altitude. Its an amazing adventure I discovered here in Florida last year. Here is a little short video of this in action. I liked it so much, I just knew I had to learn.

ThePepperTrent said:
There is a flight school in Phoenix AZ for these. Very cool. Looks like fun :D
Arizona has some really good soaring, great terrain with lots of lift. Beautiful place to go soaring, and its on my list for the US. Its lots of fun just to have someone take you up. I highly recommend to do this at least once to experience this. Be warned, you might just catch the soaring bug like I did. Recent studies suggest that pepperheads are more prone to enjoying these things than the rest of the population due to our high testosterone content :lol:

It depends on the conditions and how experienced the pilot is. Usually you tend to stay within the airport vicinity, but when doing cross country, some can really go far. I have heard of 1000 kilometer runs which is quite impressive. I am just learning, and so I have not even had enough flights to solo yet, so I have not flown far at all. If you take a flight with one of the pilots and choose cross country you will go quite a few miles away.

Not sure how I missed this thread. Not a glider pilot, but I love my single engine aircraft! Got a monumental task ahead of me once I get settled in my new home.

I shall be building either a Sonex or Waiex (same plane only one has a V tail, pic is NOT my plane):

IMG_1479.jpg

Hey Aaron, what do you think about the Sonex Xenos? It is an experimental powered glider.

I don't know enough about them, but I was impressed with their sink ratio for a powered glider. Generally speaking you lose quite a bit when you add an engine to a glider, so I usually prefer the pure gliders, but this one looks interesting. I will have to do more research to give a true opinion.

Nice plane!

Back