• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Anybody growing the Trinidad Scorpion "Long"?

As the title says: anybody growing the SR original Trinidad Scorpion "Long".  The only vendor I have seen with it on their list is Peter @ Semillas Las Palma - unfortunately any post from Canary Islands or Spain is stopped very quickly by our Customs - I see on his website that the same is now happening in the US - and given the price of phytosans and import permits I am unfortunately loathe to order seed - I have had a parcel from him confiscated by Customs and received a "nice" warning letter from them.  No fault of Peter's, the onus is on the buyer to obtain the necessary documentation.

Anyway long story short:  anybody growing it or the CARDI "official" version?  Besides the shape, does it different in productivity, flavour, heat etc?

I will be growing both this year. I have not planted the Longs yet, but the CARDI's have sprouted. Can't comment on productivity or flavor as this is my first year growing these two. 

I also lost two shipments this year from Semillas. I have very few seeds of either (they were 10 packs), but if you PM me I will send you what I don't plant.

It does!  I am intrigued by it as CARDI's version of the Scorpion is almost the same as this - just without the "peter pepper prepuce" and also more gnarly.  I find it strange that they are calling this phenotype the Scorpion and not the Scotch Bonnet shaped thing we all call a Scorpion.

I grew Trinidad Scorpion long years ago.
Didn't look like what you grew at all.

Mine were closer to looking like around ended Red Lantern BUT super hot.

Mine were more Jelly beaned shape,no tail.

But popular opinion rules these days.
Looks means everything.

Anything that seems to grow according to public opinion as far as looks goes gets called whatever...

See the original Scorpions and 7 Pots from Cardi.
NOTHING like what people expect today.
Both were debated as being the same thing rather than different varieties(as with Nagas and Bhuts-they were considered the same pepper from different locations-that caused the heat differences originally-back when naga morich was considered super hot...).

Breeding for looks and or heat has changed things greatly these days.
Centuries old stuff has been lost because people want whatever looks cool etc.,popular opinions rule.
Crosses that are 1 trick ponies rule,as long as they are nasty looking or hot.
1 Trick ponies...But they set the current standards.

This is excatly why I'm on this quest.  The CARDI Scorpion looks didly squat like the thing we call a Scorpion.  And it is either the original or we are dealing with completely different entities that have acquired names because of fashion. 

It would appear that the CARDI/Long Scorpion has a close connection to the Assam strains (Bhut & Naga) - could this be the original phenotype that was taken to India from Trinidad?  The other things - 7 Pots, "Scorpions" etc - they look to me like outcrosses between this original phenotype and Scoth Bonnets/Congos.

It is essential that these phenotypes be preserved.

Hence my quest to find them.

Back