• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

alkhall 2015

Going to start in coir around first weekend of February.

The list so far, subject to amendment:

BROWN LARGE SCORPION-saved seed from last year

7-POT YELLOW-saved seed from last year

ORANGE(ISH) BRAINSTRAIN-saved seed from last year

ORANGE DOUGLAH-saved seed from last year

CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA <REPLACED ORANGE DOUGLAH

CARAMEL MADBALLZ-seed saved from last year <ADDED

NOT PEACH (ORANGE(ish)) GHOST-SCORPION-seed saved from last year <ADDED

RED BRAINSTRAIN

YELLOW BRAINSTRAIN

CHOCOLATE BHUTLAH

BIG SUN HABANERO 25 seeds, not one germinated. However, the vendor gave me 8 starter plugs for free to make up fo it. Unfortunately, none were the Big Sun. I found another vendor that had Big Sun (or Yellow Sun, as they called it) plants for sale, so I bought 2 of those.

7-POT WES

TRINIDAD HOT CHERRY

YELLOW PRIMO

RED BHUT JOLOKIA

JALAPENO Biker Billy, Big Guy, Jalapeno M (all Burpee Seeds) < Updated

CAYENNE Ecuadoran Hot Lemon, Long Thin, Large Red (all Burpee Seeds) < Updated

BELL PEPPERS California Wonder, Orange Sun, Great Stuff, Honey Crisp, Fort Knox, Big Dipper (Burpee Seeds) <Updated

RED SAVINA HABANERO <ADDED

VENUZUELAN TIGER <ADDED

BUTCH T (POTTED, OVERWINTERED TWO YEARS)

5x10 trays in netted coir, on heat mats:

TRAY #1
Revised%20TRAY%201a.jpg

TRAY #2
Revised%20TRAY%202a_1.jpg

I have couple of freinds who love bell peppers, so I will probably give them several of the bells, along with some of the Jalapenos, and maybe a select few of the superhots.

Nice list. You're going to have some serious heat. I'd suggest looking up the days to harvest and stagger your plant times. I'm not sure about the Trinidad hot cherry, but the bell, jalapeño and cayenne will grow much faster than all the super hots. You'll end up raising the lights to accommodate them and leaving the rest a bit far away.

Neil

Blister said:
Nice list. You're going to have some serious heat. I'd suggest looking up the days to harvest and stagger your plant times. I'm not sure about the Trinidad hot cherry, but the bell, jalapeño and cayenne will grow much faster than all the super hots. You'll end up raising the lights to accommodate them and leaving the rest a bit far away.

Neil

As I have four lights, three 4-lamp T5HO industrial highbay, and one 6-lamp T5HO industrial highbay, and should have transplanted them into individual 3-inch pots before the height difference becomes much of an issue, I do not believe starting them all together will present a problem. They will be transplanted to my outdoor beds around the end of May.

However, that is a good tip for those who may only have one light source.

Thanks.

I need recommendations for a third Bell Pepper variety, in addtion to the two listed above.

Basically, I am looking for a good producer, not overly long growing period, fairly substantial size, and excellent flavor.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

P.S. links would be helpful.

Triple 4 was a great bell... big and blocky greenhouse cultivar.  

ace f1 is another good one ive grown, less blocky and more elongated.

Have experience w Marconi - love em.  Also would recommend Purple Beauty.  I obtained seed stock from SSE about 3 years ago and have planted them each year ever since.  

OP updated. Had to replace the Orange Douglah with Chocolate Bhut due to seeds I saved having gotten moldy (bummer!), also added Red Savina Habanero and Venuzelan Tiger.

Seeds are in the trays, now we wait.

Good luck to all with this season's grow.

First hooks, five days; two Big dipper Bell, one Jalapeno "M".

EDIT 1) Six days; Orange Sun Bell, Honey Crisp Bell, Fort Knox Bell, Biker Billy Jalapeno

EDIT 2) Sunday morning update, seven days; At least one of each variety in TRAY #1 have hooked. In TRAY #2; 7-Pot Wes, NOT A Peach Ghost Scorpion, Red Savina Habanero.

Transplanted nearly all of Tray #1 (Bells and Jalapenos) to 3 inch pots, Ocean Forest as medium.

Not the best picture, this is most of them, but it is difficult to get all in frame.

100_0814.jpg

Tray # 2 (superhots) is lagging behind, as expected. Probably at least two more weeks before transplant.

100_0815.jpg

Runescape said:
Nice lookin plants...

Did you have any no-shows?
Thanks.

So far; in Tray #1: a Great Stuff Bell, a Jalapeno "M", and a Venezuelan Tiger. In Tray # 2: all three Big Sun Habanero, two (Orangish) Brainstrain, two Chocolate Bhut, a Caramel Madballz, a Trinidad Hot Cherry, all three Yellow Primo, a Ecuadoran Hot Lemon Cayenne, and a Yellow Brainstrain.

alkhall said:
So far; in Tray #1: a Great Stuff Bell, a Jalapeno "M", and a Venezuelan Tiger. In Tray # 2: all three Big Sun Habanero, two (Orangish) Brainstrain, two Chocolate Bhut, a Caramel Madballz, a Trinidad Hot Cherry, all three Yellow Primo, a Ecuadoran Hot Lemon Cayenne, and a Yellow Brainstrain.
Any plans on reseeding?

Runescape said:
Any plans on reseeding?
The Bell and Jalapeno, probably not.

The super hots, I want at least two of each, so if they do not pop in the next week or so, I will start more. I am especially disappointed with the Big Sun Habanero.

alkhall said:
The super hots, I want at least two of each, so if they do not pop in the next week or so, I will start more. I am especially disappointed with the Big Sun Habanero.
Ah.

How old where the sun seeds?

Runescape said:
Ah.

How old where the sun seeds?
I bought them January 17 of this year, I would hope they were from last seasons crop.

I will give them another week, and if they fail to germinate, I will email the vendor about getting replacements.

Just a progress update.

Out of 97 coir plugs, 90 had successful germination.

Every variety had at least one sprout, with the exception of the Big Sun Habanero.

I am trying another round of Big Sun using the wet paper towel in a Ziploc baggie method.

alkhall said:
Out of 97 coir plugs, 90 had successful germination.

I am trying another round of Big Sun using the wet paper towel in a Ziploc baggie method.
Thats pretty impressive, have you ever done the paper towel method before? I've heard good things about it...

Runescape said:
Thats pretty impressive, have you ever done the paper towel method before? I've heard good things about it...

Yes, not too bad at all.

I have used the paper towel method before, but while I have had good success with germination, I usually only get about half of the sprouts surviving after going into potting mix.

Back