470 replies to this topic

#461 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

Shasta any need successful in finding quiriquiña. It the original herb in llajugua salsa. Culantro is a good sub but I'm a purest and want to if I can grow it here in AZ. The climate is almost the same well except for when you go to the jungle . Spend some time overt there as a Marine the food was exquisite.

This one? Porophyllum ruderale

Porophyllum ruderale is known by many names, including Bolivian coriander, quillquiña (also spelled quirquiña or quilquiña), yerba porosa, killi, pápalo, tepegua, "mampuritu" and pápaloquelite. Despite the name "Bolivian coriander", this plant is not botanically related to Coriandrum sativum.

This plant is known in Mexico as pápaloquelite, commonly accompanying the famous Mexican tacos. Not all Mexicans enjoy its taste, but some find that it improves the flavor of tacos and typical Mexican salsas and soups.

In Puebla cuisine, pápalo is used as a condiment on traditional cemita sandwiches, a regional type of Mexican torta.

Papalo was used in the Azteca era

https://www.amazon.c...c/dp/B078VN2R5Y

http://www.johnnysee...m/herbs/papalo/

http://www.southerne...0-g-p-1668.html

http://www.reimerseeds.com/papalo.aspx

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 27 August 2018 - 10:34 AM.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#462 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

My quilquiña plant is a 7 foot tall bush right now😀

I blend up a handful of these leaves, with a rocoto or two, a fresh tomato, and a touch of salt. One of the best ways rocoto sauces, IMHO. Llajua.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180827_192906.jpg

#463 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:29 AM

Yaaaz greenchilemonster, that is it. We're did you get your seeds from. I'm not messing with Amazon anymore when it comes to seeds.

#464 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

I got the original plant from one of my Bolivian employees mom. The seeds are very distinct, they almost remind me of a dandelion seed. They are suuuper tiny, grow out of a pod, and have a long "hair" attached to them. The seeds don't stay good for very long, though. Once this plant starts flowering, I will save some seed pods to share with whoever might be interested on THP. The plant gets absolutely massive, though, so clear some space.

#465 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

I'm definitely interested. I'll pm you

#466 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

Rocoto relleno, pastel de papas, y una salsa criolla.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180902_183123.jpg
  • 20180902_183233.jpg

#467 Tinnie

Tinnie

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:26 AM

Cracking Chupe and Rocoto relleno/Pastel de papas TGCM.... both look so good....

Those fresh rocotos look deadset amazing.... and a good size too....

Can you get caigua where you are?.... ive looked all over here with no success.... ive only had it a couple of times but i truely miss a big dish of caigua rellena......

#468 Tinnie

Tinnie

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:35 AM

qDiOPVw.jpg?1

Caldo de pata de res (Ecuadorian Cow foot soup)

First time using the cow foot/hoof (it is not easy to find).... was a little apprehensive and made a couple of rookie errors, but otherwise i think came out very good. Was a very hearty soup.... added some thais blended with garlic and oil as i ate....  

Edited by Tinnie, 03 September 2018 - 04:39 AM.

#469 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

Cracking Chupe and Rocoto relleno/Pastel de papas TGCM.... both look so good....

Those fresh rocotos look deadset amazing.... and a good size too....

Can you get caigua where you are?.... ive looked all over here with no success.... ive only had it a couple of times but i truely miss a big dish of caigua rellena......

Thanks man! No, I can't get caigua here, unfortunately. I tried growing it a few years back, but squash vine borers killed my vines, before I could get any ripe caigua😕

I still have caigua seeds though, so maybe I'll give it another shot next season. It is a major PITA growing squash/gourds here in NOVA. The squash bugs and vine borers are constantly attacking. Since I grow only organically, pesticide for squash bugs, or systemic pesticide for vine borers is out of the question. I've talked to many organic home gardeners in my area, and they all have the exact same issues with squash/gourds/zucchini, etc.

Great looking soup, BTW! Cow patas are very common here, due to the high amount of hispanics and asians. They do make great broth. I use them to make menudo broth, I also use them along with ox tail to make broth for pho.

Edited by Thegreenchilemonster, 03 September 2018 - 07:01 AM.

#470 Elpicante

Elpicante

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

Found me some small all beef hotdogs from Hebrew National going to make some Pique Macho tonight

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#471 Tinnie

Tinnie

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:40 AM

Thanks man! No, I can't get caigua here, unfortunately. I tried growing it a few years back, but squash vine borers killed my vines, before I could get any ripe caigua😕

I still have caigua seeds though, so maybe I'll give it another shot next season. It is a major PITA growing squash/gourds here in NOVA. The squash bugs and vine borers are constantly attacking. Since I grow only organically, pesticide for squash bugs, or systemic pesticide for vine borers is out of the question. I've talked to many organic home gardeners in my area, and they all have the exact same issues with squash/gourds/zucchini, etc.

Great looking soup, BTW! Cow patas are very common here, due to the high amount of hispanics and asians. They do make great broth. I use them to make menudo broth, I also use them along with ox tail to make broth for pho.

Thats unfortunate mate. I hope you have better luck if you try again. They may not look much, but its one of those veges i could probably eat every day given the opportunity.

Next time i buy some patas i might just hit you up for some tips.... and possibly your pho recipe if you are feeling generous 😁

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests