• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Help Using a Soilless Mix...Royal Gold Tupur

I've never used a soilless mix, but I want to give it a shot when I start germinating my non-chinenses in March, eight weeks before plant out in May. The mix is below.  I'm not doing hydro, just the standard indoor pots, and I'm looking for practical advice on how, and when to fert.  I'm thinking of mixing a bit of worm castings and alfalfa meal into the Tupur before introducing the seedlings.  After that, I'm thinking of ferting with either fish emulsion/kelp, or maybe something like Dr. Earth All-Purpose fert, 3-3-3.  Any advice?

This product below contains:coco fiber, Humboldt forest humus, oyster shell, perlite, azomite.
http://royalgoldcoco.com/node/10

thats not really a soilless mix is it? i mean it sounds like it has plenty of organic matter and what have you already? unless forest humus is not what i think it is.

Lol love the name of their other product "Basement Mix" with subtle hints that it's intended for canna use. 

queequeg152 said:
thats not really a soilless mix is it? i mean it sounds like it has plenty of organic matter and what have you already? unless forest humus is not what i think it is.
Okay. I'm new to this stuff. The guy at the hydro shop referred to it as being devoid of nutes. Maybe it's not? So, are you saying it's good to go without additional nutes?

Roguejim said:
Okay. I'm new to this stuff. The guy at the hydro shop referred to it as being devoid of nutes. Maybe it's not? So, do you have anything of value to add to my actual questions?

not being an organic guy, not really.  if you want advice on chemical fertilizer, im your man though.

i was more interested as to why you were referring to it as soil less.

From the horribly brief description on their website it sounds as if it's recommended for drain to waste systems and to water/feed 6 times a day. With every 3rd watering of ph balanced water (assuming to remove excess salts) If it's going into pots and not a hydro/drip system I'd probably look into another product. 

D3monic said:
From the horribly brief description on their website it sounds as if it's recommended for drain to waste systems and to water/feed 6 times a day. With every 3rd watering of ph balanced water (assuming to remove excess salts) If it's going into pots and not a hydro/drip system I'd probably look into another product. 
Something like Pro Mix?
queequeg152 said:

not being an organic guy, not really.  if you want advice on chemical fertilizer, im your man though.

i was more interested as to why you were referring to it as soil less.
I'm not wedded to "organic".  But, I would like a simple fert/nute regimen.

It is kind of a bastard product of organic and conventional, but it's mainly coir and should be treated as such. Not entirely sure why they limed it.

It's definitely not like Pro-Mix (peat).

You can multi-feed daily from 1-6 times, after the rootball is well formed and drying out faster (1-2 days). Anything sooner is just death. If you use it, I would recommend never "flushing" with plain water, that's a huge no with coir. Moderate, consistent feed with 10-15% run-off from start to finish. There are plenty of guides around the internet to fend off common mistakes. ManicBotanix has one that lacks any fingered leaves or bud shots, and a few growers here like Blister run coir with peppers.

miguelovic said:
It is kind of a bastard product of organic and conventional, but it's mainly coir and should be treated as such. Not entirely sure why they limed it.

It's definitely not like Pro-Mix (peat).

You can multi-feed daily from 1-6 times, after the rootball is well formed and drying out faster (1-2 days). Anything sooner is just death. If you use it, I would recommend never "flushing" with plain water, that's a huge no with coir. Moderate, consistent feed with 10-15% run-off from start to finish. There are plenty of guides around the internet to fend off common mistakes. ManicBotanix has one that lacks any fingered leaves or bud shots, and a few growers here like Blister run coir with peppers.
I'm not doing hydro, so consistent feeding isn't going to happen. Maybe I can return this stuff.

Bad wording on my part. When I say you can multifeed, it doesn't mean you have to. You just get slower growth if you follow the moist-wet cycle. If you can't return it, a bit of vermiculite will slow the rapid drying and with a few amendments as you've mentioned, make it act more like soil. Peat is much more user friendly/hands free.

Just an opinion, take it or leave it, I'm sure more will follow.

miguelovic said:
Bad wording on my part. When I say you can multifeed, it doesn't mean you have to. You just get slower growth if you follow the moist-wet cycle. If you can't return it, a bit of vermiculite will slow the rapid drying and with a few amendments as you've mentioned, make it act more like soil. Peat is much more user friendly/hands free.

Just an opinion, take it or leave it, I'm sure more will follow.
Well, I have a couple of seedlings that are stunted.  I removed them from their Solo cups to find that the roots had not grown beyond the peat pellet they were planted in.  So, I rinsed away the remaining peat and replanted them in the Tupur, amended with a bit of worm castings, and bokashi.  I prehydrated the Tupur before planting the seedlings, and then watered lightly again with 1/4 strength kelp extract, and fish emulsion.  Man, this Tupur drains fast!  I might as well experiment with it. 

I wonder how this Tupur would work towards seed germination, in place of peat pellets.

Back