• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath 2015---Up and Running

Time for another season. Big hopes for a better season this year. Last year was a near complete bust for me, started out battling ferocious winds, very poor extremely hard clay soil, too much rain, and a number of other issues. I was able to learn from it, had some plants up near the house I babysat through the season, and I have since made some massive improvements to the soil and hope to get a fence up to act as a windbreak before the plant out in May. This is my second year with a giant garden (50x50) and have no intentions of scaling down just yet. In the past I have been limited to a small 15x5 garden because of where I lived. We moved to our new (and hopefully permanent) home in Nov of 2013. 

In the past I have always started my seeds in Feb. Last year I broke the norm and started Jan 1st. Peppers did really good but most all started producing buds a month before plant out. The tomatoes got to leggy and were very weak at the plant out. Most of them died but was able to save a couple up near the house. I think I was able to get 1 tomato off the two plants I had near the house. My good friend catherinew hooked me up with about 30 fresh tomato's from her garden toward the end of last season. She has been a very good friend and has helped me out immensely, supplying me with leaves for the garden, peppers, tomatoes, even some toys for the boys. She is soo awesome and I thank this forum for helping us meet. 

Wanna also thank everyone for the encouraging words last season especially Devv and Sawyer, they offered some very valuable advise to help improve the soil conditions here at the house. A special thanks to the generosity of seacowboy, joefish, and OCD chilihead sharing loads of peppers last season. Awesome, just Awesome. Pepper people really are the BEST!! 

Now, on to the season. I got the seeds sowed last Wednesday. Have 200 exactly right now but have some more seeds coming in the mail. Think I will settle on somewhere around 220 for a total count. Heres the list in no special order.....

White Bhut Jolokia--2
Naga Morich--3
Jigsaw--1
Barrackpore--1
Cumra Cherry--2
Douglah Red--2
Giant Jalapeno--3
Hot Banana Pepper--3
Datil--1
Chimayo
Choc. Bubblegum--2
Prik--3
Moa Scotch Bonnet--2
T. Scorpion Red--4
Pimente D' Espellete (true, from France)--3
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin--4
Golden Habanero--1
Orange Peter Pepper--1
Aji Habanero--3
White Bullet Habanero--2
Malaguetina--3
Aji Cito--4
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion--2
Goats Weed--2
Tabasco--4
Goldfinger--3
5 Color Chinese--2
T. Scorpion Chocolate--3
Arribi Gussano--2
Chupetina--4
Pequin
Chiluacle Amarillo--4
Choc. Bhut Jolokia--1
Antillias Caribean Habanero--2
Red Peter Pepper--3
Thick Cayenne--1
Biker Billy Jalapeno--3
Cayenne Chile--3
Red Thai--2
Paper Lantern Habanero--2
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper--2
Yellow Pointed Pepper--2
Aji Limo--2
Venetian Seasoning
Bishops Crown--2
Peach Bhut Jolokia--3
Aji Amarillo--3
Rooster Spur--2
Cherry Hot--5
Birgets Locoto
Brazilian Starfish--2
Jimmy Nardelo--2
Red Scotch Bonnet--2
Yellow Devils Toungue--2
Goronong
Sus Biberi--2
Aji Pineapple-2
Scotch Bonnet (True)--2
Mustard Bhut Jolokia--3
Lightning Mustard Habanero--3
Fish Pepper--2
Mustard Habanero
Aji Lemon Drop--4
Manzano Red--3
Bubblegum Red--2
Dorset Naga
T. Scorpion Yellow--2
Red Bhut Jolokia--4
Yellow Bhut Jolokia--3
Prarrie Fire--2
Orange Bhut Jolokia--4
7 Pot Madballz--2
Francisco Pepper-1
Cascabella Pepper--3
Heart Throb--3
Pepperoncini--3
Pinzon--3
Ring of Fire Cayenne--2
Santa Fe--3

Thanks to those for seeds, I'm not very good at remembering who gave what, but usually can remember the who. Some sent seeds (this year and/or last), others I harvest from fresh and dried peppers sent to me. 

Trade Winds Fruits
Seacowboy
Rory
AdamStl
Smokenfire
Meatfreak
Peter S
Meathead1313
Coachspencersx
Djinn
Catherinew
Marc V
Joefish
Coki
Pepperlover
Aarron TT
Neoguy
TexasHotPeppers
Jaunitos
Sicman
Hendrix1326
Spicy Chicken
MS1476
OCD Chilihead

What an awesome and generous community!!!!!

Here's a shot of the setup, have the lights running just to provide heat for now. The only change I made from last year was I tapped into the main water on the house and rigged up a little watering hose, (ill get a shot later to show ya) so no more hauling gallons of water to the basement this year. Whoo hoo.

DSC_0158 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0155 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0157 (1024x681).jpg

Thanks for stopping by more to come...Hope everyone has a great weekend!

**list edited to show quanties 4-6-15

Wow that's a massive list! Looking forward to following your grow.  From what I can tell, Colorado is a challenging place to garden. 
I saw a little of the work you did on your soil last season - and it should pay great dividends.  I'll be curious to see how everything works out.
Good luck this year!

Very large grow this season Anthony!

Everything looks great, and with all the time you put into the soil you should see some good results.

A note about what I do with maters so they don't get so "leggy". Once they come up I place them low in the solo cup and under the T8's. As they grow larger I clip lower leaves and add more soil until finally the cup is full. Eventually they go into 1 gallon pots and are planted low, soil is added the same way. All this stem I bury turns into roots. The 1 gal pots are 9-10"s tall so by dirt day I have a nice root system. At plant out I trim all but the top 2 leaves and the crown; depending on plant height, some are planted at a 45° angle burying yet more stem. Give it a whirl, it's worked really well for me over the years.

Good luck this season!

beerbreath81 said:
I have since made some massive improvements to the soil 

Turning worthless land, like a lawn or that lunar landscape you're dealing with, into rich, living soil is such a satisfying feeling! I'm interested to see how plants perform in your new dirt this season. Good luck!

MeatHead1313 said:
Awesome list! Nice mix of heat levels and flavours. Best of luck for the season!
thanks for stopping by, and for the seeds ya sent. Hopefully you can get your soil whipped into shape too!

Peter S said:
Looks like a great start, and lots of different types. Good luck this season!
Hey Peter, it is a lot of types I have a problem saying no to new varieties...lol

rory said:
Subscribed!! Best of luck!
Rory, good to see my Italian friend made it to the party

Mulcahey said:
There's something very satisfying about seeing such a neat and orderly arrangement of anything... knowing that they're soon-to-be chile plants makes it even more so.
Somewhat orderly, have some work to do in the basement. They shelves tend to get loaded up with junk in the off season ;)

moruga welder said:
great mix !       :onfire:   good luck on your grow !  
Thanks mw, hope you have a great season as well.

Pulpiteer said:
Wow that's a massive list! Looking forward to following your grow.  From what I can tell, Colorado is a challenging place to garden. 
I saw a little of the work you did on your soil last season - and it should pay great dividends.  I'll be curious to see how everything works out.
Good luck this year!
Andy's here... :party: Colorado can be challenging but with exception to last year, generally do pretty well. I am curious as well to see how things will turn out...time will tell

mpicante said:
very nice set up and seed list,wish you all the best this season
thanks for the warm wishes, hope your season goes well too

Devv said:
Very large grow this season Anthony!

Everything looks great, and with all the time you put into the soil you should see some good results.

A note about what I do with maters so they don't get so "leggy". Once they come up I place them low in the solo cup and under the T8's. As they grow larger I clip lower leaves and add more soil until finally the cup is full. Eventually they go into 1 gallon pots and are planted low, soil is added the same way. All this stem I bury turns into roots. The 1 gal pots are 9-10"s tall so by dirt day I have a nice root system. At plant out I trim all but the top 2 leaves and the crown; depending on plant height, some are planted at a 45° angle burying yet more stem. Give it a whirl, it's worked really well for me over the years.

Good luck this season!
Scott, :dance: my mentor. Thanks for the advice on the tomatoes. Will keep them in mind when tomato planting comes around, think I'm gonna wait till March for them this year. Generally when I start them, just think I got them going waaaaay to early last year.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Turning worthless land, like a lawn or that lunar landscape you're dealing with, into rich, living soil is such a satisfying feeling! I'm interested to see how plants perform in your new dirt this season. Good luck!
Was definatly ALOT of work last year but very rewarding when I was finished. Will be even more rewarding if the season goes as planned

tctenten said:
Great list. Will be following. Good luck.
Thanks tctenten, hope your season goes well too

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Did you have your woman write out all the labels or do you just have purty penmanship :)
:rofl:  :rofl: I wish I could get the ole lady to write all them. 200 is alota labels

Also got something else goin, been cravin me some ribs for a while now. Thought id give the new smoker a test run. Snowin outside right now so hopefully I can get them to turn out

DSC_0163 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0169 (1024x681).jpg

Rub consists of
3/4 C brown Sugar
1/4+1/8 C paprika
1.5 T Pepper
1.5 T Chili Powder
1.5 T Salt
1.5 T Garlic Powder
1.5 T Onion Powder
2 T Granulated Sugar

DSC_0171 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0172 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0189 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0187 (1024x681).jpg

Turned out great, Time to eat!!  :D
DSC_0194 (1024x681).jpg

I have horrible clay soil as well. Rather than try to fix it or till stuff in I just dig a hole 1 - 2 foot deep with post hole diggers and fill with a nice mix of peat, top soil and compost.  In years past grew is the soil direct and didn't get much luck.  Last year first year growing seriously in a long time I did the work to dig the holes right through what used to be lawn and ended up with 5ft peppers and thousands more pods than I could deal with.  Good luck with your new improved soil.  Your list is quite impressive.

Woah, Anthony!  An Industrial Strength Grow - 200 in the dirt  :party:  
Your set-up is nice and tidy, very organized.

The ribs aren't bad, either   ;)     :drooling:     :clap:

Back