• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Mutant Plants - Peach Bhut Jolokia

Now I have had my fair share of unusual plant and pod traits, but usually it's a one off... A conjoined stem, a Pod that has a small green pod inside when cut open.. and other curiosities.

However I have a Peach Bhut Jolokia I have been growing now for a year, in the beginning when it first popped the Cotyledon leaves were joined together in one large blob leaf.. From here it really struggled to survive and was one of the hardest plants I raised.

Its recently stated to take off and I was checking out the flowers and pods forming before and noticed some very unusual things..

1) Some of the flowers had 7-8-9 petals

2) About 80% of the flowers have 2-3-4-5 Pistols per flower some completely separate and stand alone others are almost fused together in a group ...

3) Some of the Pods appear to be growing like conjoined pods ( Too small to really determine what there doing yet).

4) I even have a few double flowers of one stem !!

5) About 20% of the flowers and buds are perfectly normal.

Has anyone had such a vast mount of mutation before. It feels like the plant is some form of Conjoined Plant that's running at a 50/50 chance of multiples....

Photos are hard to see clearly , from an iPhone, Ill get out a camera and Macro some shots later.

Anyone else had any experience with a "twins" plant before ??  It appears that the plant has aborted some small buds, they have 4-5 small individual pods trying to grow from the same flower, but there are some "Ugly" pods that have made it to the safe stage.... Will post more photos later.

Just my two cents, but it's probably not a mutation. I've seen a lot of this kind of thing in the past when I had fertilizer issues.

Again, just a thought. If someone else has an idea, fire away.

cool twin pods ! , last year i did have a reaper pod that had a tail growing off the top as well as the standard one on the bottom . never did take a picture . kicking self for not !    :onfire:

Lol the drinking water here is well above board and I'm not using any agricultural run off water supplies .. UV might of been a factor but it's only recently come out I to full light as it was raised under lights .. But I like your post hehe ..

I was having another look before and more than most are mutated .. If it was just a few flowers I'd say it was a random growth but it's mostly the whole plant..

Now that I think on it though it might not even be a peach Bhut .. That was just the seed lot it came in ..

From now it shall be known as the " Muto Kraken " until otherwise verified lol.. Can't wait to see how the pods form and if it carries on in the seeds

Yeah, I couldn't come up with anything intelligent or really useful so relied on wit.
Keep posted, would be interesting to see what it turns out to be, or how many it or they turn out to be.

Here's a few more pics..

This is a Aborted Pod..

Here is a Flower minus the petals so you can see the pistols..

And here is one of the pods, in the flesh you can just make out were the various pistols were although the pod seems to be a complete fused pod ????

It looks NOTHING like a bhut so far, there are several pods that look the same or similar.  I'm just hoping if it does turn out to have CRAZY pods that it is a super hot / nuclear ...

All the pods seem to have a real segmented shape due to the multiple pistols, like clenched fists..

I just manually pollinated a few of them with red Moruga , white Bhut and Brazilian Starfish.. Hopefuly they take.. The Moruga flower had 5 pistols lol could be a freak ..

Wicked Mike said:
Just my two cents, but it's probably not a mutation. I've seen a lot of this kind of thing in the past when I had fertilizer issues.

Again, just a thought. If someone else has an idea, fire away.

Did this happen due to an over fertilisation, under fertilisation or too much of an individual ingredient?? All my plants are fed equally based on there progression and if anything I run them a little light on nutes and this one is the only mute..

moruga welder said:
cool twin pods ! , last year i did have a reaper pod that had a tail growing off the top as well as the standard one on the bottom . never did take a picture . kicking self for not !    :onfire:

I'm hoping that if one side doesn't take it wont kill off the whole thing, that being said the stem is very strong and thick so it may have already fertilised... Both sides have multiple stamens too .. the back of the flower is a single Calyx and the front is two separate flowers with petals through the centre.. Very weird.
CAPCOM said:
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do a jack and the bean stalk on it. might end up being something really really rad.
One thing I noticed about the pods.. It appears that there is one Large section of pods where 2-4 pistols sit close together or join into one and then off to the side there Is a more separated single pistol... In the photos of the buds you can see in both a separated stand alone section... Its all just confusing  :shh:

My jalapeño plant did the same thing. They aren't getting any bigger and 2 of the peppers/lobes have fallen off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 64
KrakenPeppers said:
Did this happen due to an over fertilisation, under fertilisation or too much of an individual ingredient?? All my plants are fed equally based on there progression and if anything I run them a little light on nutes and this one is the only mute..
Too much fertilizer. I'm usually pretty good at eyeballing it, but I went overboard with the Nutricote with a few tomatoes this season. Quickly saw the characteristic yellowy, distorted leaves at the crown of the plant. When they started flowering and fruiting, I got a lot of weirdness.

Sounds like that's not your case, though. In moments like these, I ask myself "WWND?"

If Nigel happens to see this, maybe he'll weigh in.

Ozzy2001 said:
My jalapeño plant did the same thing. They aren't getting any bigger and 2 of the peppers/lobes have fallen off

Looks like a similar condition, my plant lost a few small lobes but at the moment there are  4-5 freak peppers that are growing steadily and  3-4 more normal looking pods also growing well and heaps of flowers. All the freaks look like fists, the more normalised ones are doing my head in, I'm trying to identify what they might be but at the moment can't lock'em down to anything. More photos to come.

How many of your Jalapeno buds have gone mute compared to normal ones?
Naga Chomper said:
Fukushima?

Lol Godzilla did come to mind ... Well if it is a Fukushima seed I have no idea how it came to be in a lot of Peach Bhuts... :onfire:

Naga Chomper said:
Fukushima?
At least people aren't forgetting about that.  Not saying that's what's going on here, but you never know.  That place has been leaking radioactive water into the pacific every day for the last four years.

All my other Peach Bhut stock was fine, this particular Muto seed looks chinense in foliage etc pods are certainly looking anything but Bhut so I'm wondering if it snuck it's way into the batch or if it was a mute or mute cross ..

My other peach pods on the other plants are looking like perfect specimens , exactly how you would want ( for a non Jays Variety ) lol
Here's a few other pics..

Better shot of the "Fist" pepper

Another Muto

This is one of the normal pods.. Any Ideas on a variety.. ??

And here is a proper pod from the same stock of Peach Bhuts...

Back