• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense White Bhut Jolokia

Anyone know if this is a stable breed. Got some from trade winds and already I'm
catching hell from my feed and seed buddies that I'll get bastard children from the
fruit.

I've grown White Bhuts from 2x suppliers... First lot were smaller pods and half of them were hab shaped, the other half Smooth bullet shaped... The second round of stock were longer and larger and more the apparent white Bhut look.. Stability wise I think there stable but Pheno wise???

I still don't think crossing a Bhut to a white pepper just to change its colour and stabilising it... makes it a Bhut.. But the community is accepting it as such so who am I to disagree.

Red and Peach are by far the best true Bhut shapes for me.. The chocolates are close second but a bit smoother and the Yellows in fourth with an even smoother pod then the whites fall in way lower with almost Naga like glossy pods...

We grew Judy's white bhut and it looks as advertised here but with one exception: 

http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/world-hottest/white-bhut-jolokia-detail

As Judy says, it is very productive, and branches break under weight of fruit. It is a smooth skinned variety and looks exactly like it does in the pic. It also has that great floral bhut taste. 

Ours is a very mild pepper though, about jalapeño heat level. No where near the heat level of the other bhuts. We only have the one plant so this might not be representative.

Aussie said:
We grew Judy's white bhut and it looks as advertised here but with one exception: 

http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/world-hottest/white-bhut-jolokia-detail

As Judy says, it is very productive, and branches break under weight of fruit. It is a smooth skinned variety and looks exactly like it does in the pic. It also has that great floral bhut taste. 

Ours is a very mild pepper though, about jalapeño heat level. No where near the heat level of the other bhuts. We only have the one plant so this might not be representative.

Yeah mine looked like Judys, with more grooves down the side.. Not hugely more but more... My heat was up there with the Yellow and chocolate Bhuts.. Definitely the least hot but in the high end of Bhut.. And maybe a little whiter in colour too.

Thanks ya all. At least I'll have seasoning for jerky and another color in
the salsa for the year. Too old to put up with a red headed step child.

Hey, it's RJ!

Great to see you here again!

Out of I think 5 plants last season all of them had this "not" Bhut shape to them but definitely had bhut heat levels...but tasted a bit different.  They do have the rippled leaves like a bhut...they just look more like tiny 7 pots.

http://youtu.be/d0LIQG0Gnm8

I might not even get one to maturity. Lol..my germination tank temp keeps jacking up and down. Out of 12 only 2 came up (both sudden death seedling). The other ten that still haven't popped up I'm gona put off to the side and start my last four seeds of it. I've never had great luck with Bhuts that's why when a new one comes around I'm a sucker to try it.

Mine grew pretty similar to those above, maybe a little smaller. They were pretty hot, but not as hot as a red Bhut.

image.jpg

No ripe pods yet but a fair bit of variation in shape. Both of these are on the same plant:

Jqtt6b7.jpg

Definitely seems to be a heavy producer. My plant is not even 2ft tall and has over 50 pods so far.

Back