• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Identify This Kale

Anyone know what kind of Kale this is? I can get a pic of the package but the name isnt there. It just says "Colorful, Sweet Kale". The outside leaves are a lot greener with the veins being purply.

FH16dqR.jpg

ZeGEkRk.jpg

DZRH5df.jpg

Both the bright color and the sweet flavor are found only in winter (cool temperatures). Kale produces the same bitter/hot mustard oils as other members of the family (wasabi, radishes, etc.) in warm weather (when insects are active) as a deterrent.

Kales are usually biennial, and in favorable climates (winters with only mildly freezing temperatures) they produce sugar in their sap to prevent it from freezing. Garlic and onions also use sugars as a natural antifreeze in their bulbs, which is why fried onions tase so sweet once their sharp-flavored essential oils are cooked off.

Planting flowering kales early enough in cold-winter regions will cause it to bolt in the summer. Late-summer sowing, and growth in a cold-frame, might allow you to produce your own in October/November... depends on how harsh your winters are. At a guess, roots might be grown, stored in a root cellar, then 'forced' like Belgian endive over the winter. Worth a try...

This is the closest I could find:

Greens-Ornamental-Fringed-Kale--%281%29.jpg

http://www.rareseeds.com/ornamental-fringed-mix-/

and this is the single review of it at that site

Review:

This kale definitely has it all: Easy, prolific, pretty, yummy. Except the slight bitterness kale sometimes comes with. This one is definitely a sweeter kale, and has been a favorite with all my friends and family. Because yes, I had enough to give away after I froze several gallon bags worth.

I'm trying to root one of these so maybe it would give me seed this year. Hopefully this one at Baker's is close to it too.

Back