• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Plants by Mail

Not sure where this fits so putting it here.  Have you ordered plants by mail?  If so, how were they packaged, what was your experience, were they bare root, do you have photos?  We do local pick ups starting in April and farmers market at end of April.  Trying to decide if I should do mail order plants or not.

Seems to me, folk who do always seem to collect bad reviews when the post office punts a box or the weather gets cold during shipping. 

Has anyone found a heat pack in their order?  Was it still noticably warm?

I haven't received an order yet, but I do ship corals with 72 hour heat packs very often. They arrive via priority mail nice and toasty. About 90 degrees after 3 days inside of a cooler.

Jaunitos has a video on his youtube channel where he shows how he packs.

Last year I ordered from CCN and everything came in good shape. They had a pretty impressive packaging system, I am sorry I did not take pics. I will also let you know that they are also located in NJ, so the plants did not have far to travel.

ajdrew said:
Not sure where this fits so putting it here.  Have you ordered plants by mail?  If so, how were they packaged, what was your experience, were they bare root, do you have photos?  We do local pick ups starting in April and farmers market at end of April.  Trying to decide if I should do mail order plants or not.

Seems to me, folk who do always seem to collect bad reviews when the post office punts a box or the weather gets cold during shipping. 

Has anyone found a heat pack in their order?  Was it still noticably warm?

I just got a shipment of over 50 pepper plants 6" and above. only way to make it cost effective was to ship ground, It took 7 days and believe it or not all plants are alive and thriving - Got mine from Jancinto's  He packed by taping over the pot to keep the dirt from spilling out and packed around 6 per smaller box. and put those in one big box. 

and i won't ever do ground again lol, 7 days in a dark box is not good.

never though of heat packs...  i don't really plan on shipping plants in bad freezing weather(like heart of december to maine or something). The box will warm up during the day its ok if it gets a lil chilly, the air in the box buffers temp some..

and yeah saran wrap / tape everything up

juanitos said:
and i won't ever do ground again lol, 7 days in a dark box is not good.

never though of heat packs...  i don't really plan on shipping plants in bad freezing weather(like heart of december to maine or something). The box will warm up during the day its ok if it gets a lil chilly, the air in the box buffers temp some..

and yeah saran wrap / tape everything up

Honestly I don't think 7 days without light did any harm to them over all just needed to keep the in fresh air and in my shade room for a few days then ease them into full sun a hour or 2 per day after that the plants are doing just fine.

As for heat and cold packs we use them everyday I ship live Fish and I gets tricky one airport will be 90 and the hub airport will be in the 30's but i really don't think it would matter on plants unless where they are going or going through is below freezing .

tctenten said:
Last year I ordered from CCN and everything came in good shape. They had a pretty impressive packaging system, I am sorry I did not take pics. I will also let you know that they are also located in NJ, so the plants did not have far to travel.

I too have ordered from CCN and they arrived in awesome shape. I would gladly order from them again!

One of the things that is kind of wierding me out are the number of places currently shipping.

Gargoyle91 said:

...but i really don't think it would matter on plants unless where they are going or going through is below freezing .
That would be one of the things that confuses me. Some folk seem to be shipping now.  Lots of the US still gets freeze and snow this time of the year.  In KY, I still see ice on water troughs this time of the year.

ajdrew said:
One of the things that is kind of wierding me out are the number of places currently shipping.

That would be one of the things that confuses me. Some folk seem to be shipping now.  Lots of the US still gets freeze and snow this time of the year.  In KY, I still see ice on water troughs this time of the year.

CCN ships by what zone you are growing in.  You can alter the ship date if you like, but they have a pretty good handle on it.

tctenten said:

CCN ships by what zone you are growing in.  You can alter the ship date if you like, but they have a pretty good handle on it.

Yep CCN (Cross Country Nurseries, www.chileplants.com) does an awesome job with seedlings. I used them exclusively for 9 or so years and the plants always arrived in excellent shape. This is my first year not placing an order but that's because I'll be starting seeds from now on since my grow has gotten so big. My plants always grew true as well with CCN. They also keep up with the new super hots and have a decent selection of them. Overall they have a HUGE selection of peppers and tomatoes. Eggplant as well but I can't stand the stuff so never ordered.

Back