beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

(cross-posted from my fb)

step 0: brew beer, fail to get it to a glass
step 1: brew beer, get it to a glass, rejoice
step 2: brew bigger beer, fail to get into yourself
step 3: brew big beer and get it into yourself, rejoice
step 4: brew strange beer, get it into a glass, decide not to put it into yourself
step 5: brew strange beer reverse-engineered to ride a recipe with integrity, get it into yourself, rejoice
no profit step, just enjoy the rocking chair

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454273269.858615.jpg

the bad news - the cordless drill doesn't have the chutzpah to run the mill. first it spun, then once there was a bunch of grain in it, it couldn't generate the torque ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454273280.791396.jpg

the good news - the cordless screwdriver made a fine-enough handled that over the 180 degree range of motion crushed the crystal ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454273344.012741.jpg

I finished the pound manually, to soak up the food-safe lubricant from the rollers ...

Upon inspection inside ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454273420.748001.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454273431.807551.jpg

It's a pretty aggressive gap (.40) that would certainly increase efficiency, but I think I might want to consider adding .05, for .45 ...

... and I'll need to look into a better suited driver/drill ...

You need a drill with 2 gears. Make sure to put it into low gear then it should be able to do it. Most of those Dewalts have a 1&2 on the top. Maybe not that one.
Oh damn. That one does and you have it in 1 lol. That's some crazy torque necessary.

wheebz said:
the mill has to be running when you dump the grains in it, otherwise it is going to stick

i use that exact same mill
The mill worked so well I'd consider just using a handle ...

I could handle milling 15# for my inside batches no problem ...

Doing 60-80# for an outside one, though - yeah, no ... LOL!

wheebz said:
i always start with a base malt and mix in my specialty as its milling
I would do that too, but is it too narrow and pulverizing the grain too much, or does crystal do that because of it's processing and I need to recheck w/ two-row?

Ok, cool ...

I'll have a new corded drill for it Tuesday ...

I think the Baird British Pale is milled, so I might be able to brew regardless of milling - Tue or Wed, we'll see how effective *I* am at working tomorrow ...

Red-Eye, PA

Est. Batch = 3.025 gal AG w/ 55% Kettle Efficiency (BIAB)
Est. IBU's = 100
Est. ABV = 8.2% (*I* overshot gravity, fairly significantly, for this being my 1st light-colored beer after defining my efficiency by a number of large stouts)
Est. Pre-boil Gravity = 16P+
Est. Original Gravity = ~19.25P
Est. SRM = 15

Grist

160 oz Maris Otter (85.7%)
  16 oz Munich (8.6%)
    8 oz CaraRed (4.3%)
    2 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (1.1%)
 1/2 oz Whole Roasted Barley (.3%)
 1/4 oz Carafa Special III (.1%)

Mash into 126F strike water

Might use a little citric acid or pH5.2 today to bring the mash pH down to 5.2 or a 5.6 target if I use citric acid.
Set the attain-then-countdown timer/alarm for 153F and 30min (should take about 45mins, and give some some time for beta-amylase activity along the way).
Check with a refractometer, stir, and continue as needed to hit gravity, up to 100mins max.

60 Min Boil + 15 Min Whirlpool

.5 oz 15.6% AA Columbus (Pellet) @60min
.5 oz 15.6% AA Columbus (Pellet), 1/2 Whirfloc, & Yeast Nutrients @15min

Whirlpool 15 Mins

1 oz 12.9% AA Citra (Leaf)
1 oz 17.8% AA Columbus (Leaf)

Wrap-Up

Immersion-Chill <80F & divert into a 5 gallon corny with a blow-off tube attached to the gas post.

Pitch "starter" of 1x package of Safale US-05 stirred through pre-brewing/brewing in a boil-sterilized 1L Erlenmeyer flask with 800mL canned wort (5-8 hrs).

Place into 65F chamber, apply O2 at 3L/s for 30 secs or until bubbling through blow-off apparatus.

Raise chamber temp .5F every 12 hrs up to 70F.

Dry-Hopping

1 oz ea of pelleted Citra and Columbus for 5 days.

Accidental

Freeze-concentration from 4x days at 27.6F.

I could repeat the Red-Eye ... but I'm going to brew a derivative real soon instead because taking risks is more exciting/rewarding/enriching ...

Juicy-Jus

See 3/13/16 Entry

grantmichaels said:
Deebo

Batch:              2.5 gallons
Est. Efficiency: 55%
ABV:                17.5-18%
SRM:               111
IBU's:               65

1200mL Starter of 2x vials of WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

60% Crisp Maris Otter - 192oz
 7.5% Caramel Munich 60L - 24oz
 7.5% Crystal 150 - 24oz
 7.5% Flaked Barley - 24oz
    5% Carafa Special III - 16oz
    5% Pale Chocolate - 16oz
1.25% Roasted Barley - 4oz

Two-part serial mash at 151.5F for 29P, followed by a 75 min boil.

3.5% Treacle - 11oz
  2.5% Lactose - 8oz

.5 oz Northern Brewer at 75 minutes
1.0 oz Citra at 60 minutes

Whirlfloc, Yeast Nutrient, and Servomyces at 15 minutes as per the usual

Goal: 36.5P -> 9P

75 seconds of 2L/sec O2 + 30 seconds of 1L/sec O2 at 6 hrs post-pitch, along with more yeast nutrient, and some Fermaid-K

Ferment at 67F

Krausen with a 400mL starter of WLP099 or CBC-1 on Day #3 at place outside chamber to free-rise at ambient temperature

Rack onto a medium plus toasted oak spiral, biofine clean, and a split vanilla bean in the service keg

Pulled around front so all three are back-to-back ...

I need to watch that one again, soon ... been longer than I like!

I was just looking at it looks like end of March will be my year anniversary of homebrewing, as I made the thread on 3/25, and brewed first on 3/29 ...

I think I'll go to the OP on this thread, rename it to GM's Year One Archive Thread (since it's a combo thread already, anyways) and start a new thread off with a post that has links to the recipes in the Y1 thread, as well as the half-dozen or so useful charge on mash temps and pH's and shit from near the beginning ...

Back