A few plants attempting to flower after potting up?

I just recently (Tuesday) potted up the my older plants from solo cups to 1 gallon nursery pots. The majority of them a doing just fine. I did notice 3 plants appears to be forming buds:

DSC_0001_4.jpg

DSC_0005_4.jpg

Am I crazy or does it appear that these ladies are trying to flower? Oddly enough the three plants in question are the two that were doing the best (Paper Lantern Hab & Star of Turkey) and the one that was doing the poorest (Devil's Tongue White). The PLH and SoT are showing some yellowing of the leafs and SoT dropped a few leafs. The new growth looks fine though. The DTW plant is still curling up it's leafs and pouting like usual... she's my problem child... 

What do you guys think? Is this just a case of transplant shock that's got them unhappy? My assumption is that is what causing the yellowing and leaf drop. I have no clue what to think about the flowering. My assumption is if those are indeed newly forming buds that I should clip them so they focus on vegetation. Thoughts?

As always I appreciate the input in advance.

-Josh

Today, I clipped buds from a dozen or so plants, most are about six weeks old, and were transplanted three or four weeks ago.

There are still several dozen buds that have not developed enough to get to easily with scissors without risking clipping leaves/stems.

I have a lot of buds on my plants in Solo cups right now.  I'm letting them go for now though since I'm already running out of space...figured a little stunted growth wouldn't be too bad for now.  I'll probably clip them up after I move them outside in a month or so.  I actually have an Aji Habanero growing right now after successful pollination that I'm keeping as a bit of an experiment.

I don't think it's necessarily shock, they're just old enough to start budding.  There's a good chance the flowers would just fall off anyway.

I wouldn't be concerned about the buds at all. On the other hand, the leaves look like they're not happy, and I'd be concerned about that if I were you.

geeme said:
I wouldn't be concerned about the buds at all. On the other hand, the leaves look like they're not happy, and I'd be concerned about that if I were you.

The second picture is of the Devil's Tongue White. I've pretty much been having problems with leaf curl with this plant only for a while. Here's a thread I posted about it. It seems as though that variety is somewhat sensitive. Others are having problems with it showing leaf curl as well.

Mine seem to be growing out of it. The new growth on both of my White Devil's Tongues appears to be looking more normal. The bottom sets of leaves are fine, the middle sets have that nasty curl, but I'm getting a few small leaves up top that are staying flat.

The most common cause of leaves getting like that, for newer growers, is over-fertilizing. If over-fertilizing persists, the leaves will become burned. Young plants do not need much fertilizer. Ideally only use plain water for your next few waterings, then when you return to using fertilizer do so at a lesser strength, like half of what you've been using. Gradually build to full-strength over time. 

I used to pluck all of the early buds off, but not anymore. Over the years, I've become more of a minimalist as far as intervention goes. If you wanna give me early pods, go for it, little dude. Who am I to say when you flower?

Back