• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

mushroom compost

I am pretty sure I am doing 1/3 peat, perlite, mushroom compost for my containers this year.  Last year I added 2 yards of mushroom compost to my garden and I was very pleased.  I hope I see the same results in my containers, which were disappointing for me last year. 

tctenten said:
I am pretty sure I am doing 1/3 peat, perlite, mushroom compost for my containers this year.  Last year I added 2 yards of mushroom compost to my garden and I was very pleased.  I hope I see the same results in my containers, which were disappointing for me last year. 
why what happened ?   :onfire:

moruga welder said:
why what happened ?   :onfire:

It was my first year trying containers.  I learned a few things, 3-5 gallon pots were too small for me and I think I did not feed enough.  I used a similar mix, but used a compost/manure mix instead of the mushroom compost.  The same plants I had in ground produced far better for me.  I am curious what your mix was going to consist of?   I am also using 10 gallon root pouches this year.  I hope to correct some of my mistakes, some people do really well with containers. 

Check out Cappy's glog. He uses mushroom compost...'nuff said!

Like tctenten, I plan to use a 1/3 peat, perlite and mushroom compost mix with Tomato Tone and bone meal as ferts. Can't use fish emulsion as it attracts unwanted critters  :(

meinchoh said:

Like tctenten, I plan to use a 1/3 peat, perlite and mushroom compost mix with Tomato Tone and bone meal as ferts. Can't use fish emulsion as it attracts unwanted critters  :(
what npk do you use ?

meinchoh said:
Glad to hear this mix should work. I have 2 questions:

1. How much tomato tone & bone meal per 3 cubic feet of mixture(1 cubic foot of each compost, perlite, peat).

2. Does this have to be pre-mixed and allowed to cook?

Thanks

I don't what amount you would need for 3 cubic feet. I don't measure anyway - I just toss in about a cup for a three gallon container and let it do its thing. Bone meal at about half that.

I was never a proponent of pre-mixing, wetting and allowing bagged ferts to "cook". Compost maybe but not the commercial stuff. Besides, Tomato Tone has in the neighborhood of 15 different microbial colonies already added, so it should work fairly quickly.

meinchoh said:
I don't what amount you would need for 3 cubic feet. I don't measure anyway - I just toss in about a cup for a three gallon container and let it do its thing. Bone meal at about half that.

I was never a proponent of pre-mixing, wetting and allowing bagged ferts to "cook". Compost maybe but not the commercial stuff. Besides, Tomato Tone has in the neighborhood of 15 different microbial colonies already added, so it should work fairly quickly.

Thanks.  I can figure it out from there.  Appreciate the advice.   

Back