• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse 10' x 40' University Designed Green House for $300.00

I am sure the prices are a bit higher and I would add on features that are not included in the $300.00 price they list, but let me tell you we have some serious winds here in KY and that is where the university built these on that budget.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CCD/hightunnel.pdf

My additions would / will be boxing in the raised beds.  This way, I can run a bolt threw the PVC, anchor and lumber for more security.  Plan is to start work on the boxes in the next week or two, transplant into them and then raise the thing over existing plants this fall.  That way we can space out the money.

Door frame for front and rear will be built around two 4 x 4s sunk into concrete which are as tall as the highest point of the thing.  Then connect the pvc at top to the 4x4s for additional strength.

Thoughts?

i see most people recommend the 6 mil uv plastic which is 40-50$ more.

if i was doing this as semi permanent i'd probably go 15' or so it'd be taller / wider.

i like the designs where there is vertical piece for like 3' on the sides as it gives more space for the plants on the edge to grow up.

I built a Hoophouse Greenhouse last year, I used chain link fence top rail instead of PVC pipe. It cost a bit more but it has stood up through the winter and the really bad storm we had last Tuesday. The plastic stood up to the hail, no damage. It's only 12 x 12 but I could easily add some more hoops and extend it as long as I have room.

Here is a picture of it finished.
10494469_10203523639986930_7028179640281470684_o.jpg

Here is one of the frame.
10353471_10202380337725088_8114818083716923573_o.jpg

Dawknutts, thank you much for the photos.  The wood frame on the outside is an excellent idea.  How late can you grow with that and how early can you start?

ajdrew said:
Dawknutts, thank you much for the photos.  The wood frame on the outside is an excellent idea.  How late can you grow with that and how early can you start?
I think with a heater and a grow light I can grow all year. it was 25 degrees and sunny one day this winter, the greenhouse was 87.

Ye, heating expense is the one thing I worry about with a walk in.  You dont just heat the plant area, you heat all that unused space for walking and standing.  Then there is the whole heat rises thing.  If your plants are three feet tall and your top is eight feet tall, more than half you heat is wasted.  But still going to try and do it next winter because currently I am spending the money on lighting.  Want to compare the cost of heating a green house to lighting a basement.

Noticed the liner.  Are you container growing in there?  I was thinking raised beds with liner between the rows.

juanitos said:
i see most people recommend the 6 mil uv plastic which is 40-50$ more.

if i was doing this as semi permanent i'd probably go 15' or so it'd be taller / wider.

i like the designs where there is vertical piece for like 3' on the sides as it gives more space for the plants on the edge to grow up.

X2.   The 3' knee wall gives you more room and is easier to roll up the sides to vent and extend use.  You can also put in row covers or a hot box.  A GH within a GH.  Generally it will give you a 10 deg rise at night for each layer.  That should give you a 20 deg rise and a smaller space to heat.  Here is a link to some other solar GH ideas.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Sunspace/sunspaces.htm#Greenhouse%20Plans  

DawgNutts said:
I built a Hoophouse Greenhouse last year, I used chain link fence top rail instead of PVC pipe. It cost a bit more but it has stood up through the winter and the really bad storm we had last Tuesday. The plastic stood up to the hail, no damage. It's only 12 x 12 but I could easily add some more hoops and extend it as long as I have room.

Here is a picture of it finished.
10494469_10203523639986930_7028179640281470684_o.jpg

Here is one of the frame.
10353471_10202380337725088_8114818083716923573_o.jpg
THANK YOU!!! I got to do this. Did you bend the pipe? If you did is it a expensive piece of equipment?

Jabski, I have seen galvanized pipe bent to form a half circle available at feed supply shops but do not recall them at hardware stores.  I imagine fence shops might have them too.

If you want to bend your own, you can buy a tool for under $200.00  Have never used one this large, but this looks about like the smaller one I use for strips of metal and stuff up to 1/4 inch round.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

BTW: Trampolines from Craigs list in the free section are a good source for parts.  People do not properly stake them down, they blow away, get mangled and give them away.  Often there are still good parts to scavenge.  I built one whole from three junk ones.

Back