• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Taco Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Pepper said:
Geeme, you know it's a taco TD right?

:rofl:

I did consider doing my bbq chocolate pork, but I knew no one would get just how yummyliscious that really is. But dark chocolate does for BBQ sauce what it does for chili, which is make it amazing. Still, yes, you will see three types of tacos from me with said ingredients above, give or take. 

All these tacos making me happy
Happy-Will-Ferrell-GIF.gif

I want to se that dark pork geeme.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
-2 points for shadowing the corner of your plate . :)  :rofl:

Nice fish tacos!
Thanks. I tried taking the pic from a few different angles and it was in every pic.

lots of good stuff here, certainly ...

nice pic on the cod blackening!

i think the photos are pretty good, you shoud just experiment w/ tighter/dramatic cropping ...

little bit of applied rule of thirds will make a marked improvement, i think, too ...

tctenten said:
Thanks. I tried taking the pic from a few different angles and it was in every pic.
I have the same issue in my kitchen with overhead lighting everywhere do I use a longer lenses and step back :) I also have a top secret iPhone technique! Just had to cook a filet of mahi for the kids....no fish tacos :( 

This is a prep post, but I'm titling it TALES OF A TACO (shell), as this is much harder than I hoped it would be.

These taco shells are made of 100% havarti cheese, and nothing else. (You can use other types of cheeses, you just have to experiment… a lot.)

If using a soft cheese like havarti, it's easiest if you put it in the freezer for a while. Also put a ring mold (such as a cookie cutter) into the freezer. Note you'll want to put them back into the freezer between shells. Use a microplaner to shred your cheese. Wipe the ring mold and your CI (or non-stick pan) with a very thin layer of oil and preheat the CI to a low heat. Put the ring mold into the CI, sprinkle the cheese inside, spreading it to the edges, then remove the ring mold. You may turn the heat up to no more than medium-low in the process. Keep in mind it is better to start with a lower heat then slowly raise, and you'll see why.

This is my first attempt, while the cheese is still soft.  
P1010911.JPG

Still the first attempt. The cheese has turned a pale golden color and the bubbling has slowed almost to a stop. The surface looks less oily/wet - almost dry, but not quite. Use a thin-edged spatula to remove and drape the cheese over the round handle of a wooden spoon suspended between two cups to shape it. 
t1.jpg

Well, it was pretty, only it was cooked too well as it cracked as I tried to bend it over the handle of the spoon. So note that these harden within seconds after leaving the heat. Note also that you have to wipe out as much oil from the cheese between shells - you only want a very, very thin layer in the pan.

This was the start of attempt number two. The CI was too hot so very large bubbles formed around the outer edge, basically making it not work to hold fillings. Plus I zoned about removing the ring mold until it was quite hot, and so on and so forth, so let's just say this one got tossed. 
P1010913.JPG

Anyhow, this was the third attempt - finally a success! I turned the heat off between the second and third. CI retains heat well, so while it cooled a tad, it was just enough.
t2.jpg

I'll be making more of these in the morning. Note that once they cool, they can be stored for up to 5 days at room temperature. 

Edit: I did sprinkle some cayenne in the cheese with my first attempt.

Edit: The chocolate-drizzled pear taco:
t7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back