• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Taco Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymerpt said:
11094716_10203954938342395_465874347_o_zps7ryoiwvp.jpg

My kingdom for a decent knife.
11087608_10203954940062438_976022341_o_zpsgryyqrb1.jpg

This is tougher than I thought
11103787_10203955108426647_488327960_o_zpsyw7c8w66.jpg

Taco taco taco
11105746_10203955154707804_299608103_o_zpsiifie7k4.jpg

I'll call this creation EXTENDED STAY
GROUND BEEF
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
SMOKED PAPRICA
OREGANO
CILANTRO
RED ONION
A PINCH OF LAWRY's TACO MIX
GARLIC
SALT & PEPPER
SERRANO
CORN
ROMANO TOMATOES
LIME
RICE
LETTUCE
MEDIUM CHEDDER CHEESE
WATER
CORN TORTIILLAS
This is my first attempt at a throwdown.
I needed to cook for the family. We are in a extended stay hotel room. Space is tight. Tools are minimal. Knife is steak knife. My budget was very limited.
I took some of the groundbeef and added it to the full package of breakfast sausage. To this I added a pinch of Lawry's taco mix, a pinch of smoked paprika, oregano, and cilantro. I cut in two serranos, 1/4 red onion, a large clove of garlic, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lime. I browned and watched the greasy goodness create its magic. The corn was added to roma tomatoes, onion, serrano and garlic for a side salad and white rice completed the plate.

[SIZE=medium]Three Tacos[/SIZE]

I had one extra coin plating picture, so that picture is in my prep.

[SIZE=medium]So this taco adventure was interesting because what I ended up with was not necessarily what I started with. After making/combining some toppings and doing some taste tests, a number of ingredients on my POL got cut. Furthermore, ingredients I had planned for one taco ended up being paired with another taco ect.  Making tortillas from scratch is not something I have attempted before, so I was glad the tortillas were still pliable overnight. I made fish tacos a week or so ago, so after hearing some input on what I could change on my recipe, I decided use an Aioli sauce instead of sour cream. I also used softened butter to cook the fish. The chicken taco ended up exceeding expectations significantly. Goat cheese to me was a good paring with the sweetness of the apple and chicken. I didn't end up liking the feta cheese with these dishes, so it got cut. The lamb taco was originally going to contain a tzatziki sauce, but after making it I decided that wasn't a good pairing-so it got cut too. Onion and tomato topping got cut as well. I forget what else I may have cut. The basil pesto was originally part of the chicken taco, but I found that it worked better on the lamb taco. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Lamb chops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Chicken breast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Pacific Halibut[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]basil pesto[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canola oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]tomatoes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lemon zest[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lemon juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dukes Mayonnaise[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]chives[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]white pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]thai/serrano flakes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh Poblano Pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Apple Cider[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Apple Juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Goat Cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Oregano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]baking powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Gala Apple[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]probably other stuff too[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Flour Tortillas,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Mix 3 cups flour in a bowl, along with 1 teaspoon baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add 1/2 cup canola oil, and 1 cup warm water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2. Mix until you have a dough. Then turn dough out onto a floured surface. Divide dough into eight rectangles, and then cover with a damp towel for fifteen minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3. Heat a pan on medium to medium high heat. Take a rectangle of dough and roll it into a ball. Flatten into a circle and further flatten with a rolling pin until you have a nice thin dough. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4. Transfer dough to hot pan and watch for dough bubbling. When this happens, turn the dough over, and adjust heat accordingly if dough seems to be cooking too quickly. A minute or two a side for a few turns should do it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  Let cool on a plate before putting in a ziplock bag.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Chicken Tacos:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1. Start by preparing fresh ingredients. In this case, this means a clove or two of garlic, one Gala apple, and Poblano. Peel and finely chop the garlic, and peel/thinly slice the apple. The Poblano is a bit more difficult apparently. I poured some oil in a pan, and dropped the Poblano whole into the pan. Let it blister for a bit on as many sides as I could manage, then removed it without washing from the pan. Then placed the Poblano in a bowl and covered with Saran wrap for 15 minutes. Afterwards I used a potato peeler to scrape off skin. Then I thinly sliced the Poblano and set aside for later.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  After you have done this, heat some oil on Medium high heat in a pan (use a lid! Think oil Old Faithful,) and then brown the chicken on both sides for about three minutes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Using some of the garlic pieces you prepared earlier, add some salt to them, and mash them with a wood block. Transfer this garlic to the pan, and sautee for about 30 seconds.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Stir in some Thai/Serrano chili flakes, some Oregano, and 1 cup Apple Cider. At this point, depending on the thickness of your chicken breast, it would be a good idea to make some deep slice marks at strategic points in the meat. I noticed that mine wasn't cooking all the way through like I thought it should, so that is why I did this. It eventually did cook all the way.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  Reduce heat to medium, and let the cider mixture cook down to a syrup. The chicken should be covered during this time. Cooking times vary, I probably cooked it down about 15 minutes or so. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.  When some time has elapsed, take the apple slices from earlier as well as the sliced Poblanos, and transfer them to the pan. Continue cooking the mixture until syrupy, or if already done, let the apples/peppers warm in the skillet. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.  Serve topped with fresh goat cheese. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Aioli Sauce:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Juice and Zest a lemon or two.  Use a blender to further break up the lemon zest.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  In a bowl, add one cup of Duke's Mayonnaise, some chopped garlic pieces, some chopped chives, and a bit of salt. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3. Add about a teaspoon of lemon juice and some lemon zest. Mix well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Blackened Fish Tacos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Start by mixing up a Blackening spice. I used 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon paprika, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1 teaspoon cumin, some black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, and some salt.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Heat a Cast-Iron skillet for about ten minutes till very hot. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Soften some butter and coat both sides of your fish with it. Coat again with the blackening spice on both sides.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Transfer your fish to the Cast iron, and top with a teaspoon of softened butter. Let cook for two minutes, then flip over. Top again with one teaspoon of softened butter. Cook one minute, then remove from heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  Top with tomato pieces and Aioli Sauce.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Lamb Tacos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.   Salt your lamb chops at least 30 minutes prior to cooking with sea salt.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.   Put some oil in a pan, and cook lamb for about 2-3 minutes on a side.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Remove from heat. Slice lamb chops into strips[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Mix some Cayenne pepper in some basil pesto, and top lamb with this mixture.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

EASTER BONUS!

ONE BONUS PIC ALLOWED... that makes 5!

D3monic can your pics be bigger?

Are they small? Or that sarcasm? I'll check my photobucket setting. I have a 36" monitor so all pics look big to me.

They are a bit small to see details.

sicman said:
Guess that helps when recieving snap chat junk pics.

I still gotta lean in when you send them.

:rofl:

Hopefully that is better, every time I look at my post wrong the formatting changes and all the bullet points double space adn get wonky. 

Totillas:
 3.5 cups masa harina and 1.5 cups of water,
Mix, roll into balls, squash with plate put in frying pan.

[SIZE=9.5pt]Baja Blanco Tacos[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]White bass given to you from Church member[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Sprinkle with home=made special Butch-T spice mix[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Cook in pan, put in tacos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Tacos de Jamón de Pascua[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Take Easter ham and cut it up.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Cover with Salsa Verde[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Juice from ½ lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              Handfull of cilantro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              2 pints of pork stock[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              1 onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]              6 jalaquan chili peppers[/SIZE]