• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cold Resistance

Always grow extra, so took chance and put some out early.  Just Moruga, 7 Pot original, and Peter.  The 7 Pots got bit but not horrible, but they are near a building and concrete, so maybe they had more stored warmth in the area.  Of the Moruga and the Peter, the Peters did much better.  Everyone got bit, but the Moruga were bit the worse.

What are your observations over which super hots are most cold resistant and should go out earlier than the others?

In my experience, fresnos and pineapple ajis seem to tolerate the cold exceptionally well... although they are not supers.  My first chinense to produce each year has consistently been the yellow scorpion... so it thrives in the "cool" weather of the early season.

I have a half baked theory that my superhots acclimate to Kansas climate. You know keeping the next generation that generation is more cold resistant than the one before. Problem with my theory I can't seem to go more than three generations with the superhots. Had a TS Butch T that ever year really took the cold much better every year...

Some of my plants overwintered here outside with no aid on my part. Of the various super hots I had only the Brain Strain Yellow overwintered. Of course there is a myriad of factors.... just thought I'd add that.

Some of my plants overwintered here outside with no aid on my part. Of the various super hots I had only the Brain Strain Yellow overwintered. Of course there is a myriad of factors.... just thought I'd add that.

Did you get any frost?

Back