• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My new plant shipping method.

I had a very bad experience the first time I attempted to ship out some plants.  Ended in disaster.  I was given the advise to ship bare root, and have amended my shipping methods.  I think this is extremely solid!  Let me know what you guys think.

In my experience, small flat rate boxes do not get crushed.  The small dimensions allow for good structural support from the side panels.

First I removed as much soil as I could from the roots.

I measured and cut a piece of cardboard to ensure the plants would stay put.
SFRB_Shipping_1.jpg

I taped the solid end down to the box, placed the plants in, and then folded the side tab up and taped the notched end down to it.
SFRB_Shipping_2.jpg

Lastly I carefully tucked the leaves into the box while folding it up.

For larger plants I will have to move up to a Regional Rate A box, but I think I can achieve the same results.  I would reenforce the side panels with additional cardboard, and maybe make some plant separators.  This would provide more internal support to stop the box from being crushed.  If and when I do this I will post some more pics.

Looks like It may work, let me know if you want to do a test run lol

not really........ I have my hands full

I would be think they might dry out pretty quick though??

too open, root ball dries out ...

too closed, though - won't it cook? ...

i think i'd go w/ the saran, but I'd poke a few holes ...

aren't there lots of heat generating processes in the soil all the time? ...

I'm watching with interest. I may have too many plants left and my friend in Las Vegas is willing to gamble (pun alert) on me shipping him some. I'd be shipping overnite to ensure they get there quickly and before drying out. I'd need to devise a method for shipping a few more at a time. I'd probably ship 15-30 plants. An idea I had is to do something like you did and do it multiple times and then package the smaller boxes inside a larger box to make 1 package. 

Just sent Steve a few tips&on bare root shipping my husband ships and has been doing it this way for years without a hitch.He everything from rooted cuttings to lining out stock and Japanese maples (young grafts and whips).I also am thinking of selling some SEEDLINGS extras that I have for about$1.75 each 3" to 6" tall bare root plus shipping in sfrb's and mfrb's this money to be donated to FOOD BANKS.

The Aji Pineapples came through great, root was not dried out, leaves were not wilted, good to go.  Two have been potted, those I'll keep, one is a gift to my Dad and it will get a pot later this week.  Thanks a bunch Scuba Steve, great transaction and great looking plants.

-Tim

20150501_182625.jpg

20150501_182757.jpg

20150501_184912.jpg
20150501_185554.jpg

Excellent idea.  I have been bagging bare roots, rolling in craft paper, and then putting them into the small flat rate box.  Works great but I am thinking that the rolling part might be too confining on the leaves.  I think this lets more bush get shipped.

I use the baggy method but add a couple wet paper towels in the baggy method first.
Depending where the start is going.
The key is to anchor the start down and keep it moist.

Here it's 80-90+ degrees,inside Mail trucks are probably hotter.
Add wet/damp towels depending where you send the start to be safe.
NOT too wet for long trips,just extra dampness.
Heat and too wet means mold...
Just damp seems best for me.

I collect 100's of voucher samples every year as part of my work.  These vouchers (for accession into Botanical Gradens as living specimens to verify the existence of a plant in acertain area) are often seedlings/young plants or ramets/offsets.  I'm often in the field for two weeks at a time so keeping them alive is a challenge.  Here's what I do:

moisten some absorbent kitchen towel - folded double or triple.  Lay it on a slightly absorbent surface (carboard is best but a square of carpet or even a wooden cutting board works well) and then lay the plants roots on it, soil and all.  Now place a second layer over the roots - they are now sandwiched between the two thick layers of moist paper towel - it should be moist enough that the two layers of towel actually bond to each other.  Fold in the excess from the sides and bottom to make an envelope around the root parcel.  Let the excess moisture drain off - the paper should be dull and not shiny wet anymore.  Place the root parcel in a ziplock and zip it up to the stem.  Place upright in a container (I use a Coleman cool box - I'm in the field and in gets damn hot in a pickup behind the seat!).

I open the box at night and also give extra water to those that need it.  After two weeks the plants have grown new roots in the paper.  If they were just in plastic the roots would rot.

Back