• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Insect ID Help... Harmful or Beneficial???

Insect ID Help... Harmful or Beneficial???

Does anyone know what these little bugs are???

DSCN0240_zps81jtnqul.jpg

DSCN0242_zpscyzsqtkv.jpg

Sorry this one is a little out of focus... I only have a cheap digital camera...

I think I know what they are, but I want others opinions, because I'm not sure...
From what I can tell on the Internet, they look like they are beneficial insects...

Thanks for any help y'all can give...

Honestly those look more like leaf-footed bug nymphs to me due to the cluster of individuals and the flattened, bulbous rear end. The problem is that there are dozens of species of both assassin and leaf-footed bugs and the nymphs have similar appearances. Until you are familiar with the particular species that live in your area it is best to keep an eye on these. If you catch one with another insect skewered on its fangs, you have the good guys.

Nice little squad of killers you got there. I'm always happy to see those guys around the yard. They never seem to mind getting deployed in my raised beds. Just don't try to carry them by hand. Really painful bites.

All assassins I have seen basically have a stinger coming out of their mouth area that is tucked under. I can't seem to see that in the pics you provided, so I would have to agree with the others, watch them and if they eat other bugs, great. If not, then kill em with fire!

I'm not too sure about those bugs, but have seen many different sites that show a congregation of bugs that are like you listed and it always was mentioned that they were not beneficials.
I personally would wipe them out before there numbers do possible damage.

The link that Joyners posted shows the variety of assassin bugs common in Australia. Here are some assassin pictures I took myself in Houston. These are early instars. As they mature the color gets darker, the butt grows longer, and the two little brown spots at the waist eventually turn into wings. I have a picture of an adult somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
BGzNxvnCAAA7TJp.jpg

assassin3.jpg

assassin2.jpg

the OP bugs still look to me like they have a small bulbous protrusion on their upper legs reminiscent of a leaf footed nymph... just a bit too low resolution for me to tell for sure though. (Unlike the assassin bugs)

Back