• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

largest pepper

Need help. My friend and I are starting a yearly challenge to see who can grow the single largest red bell pepper. I know a little on the topic but just looking for that extra edge to win;-). And no I cant just buy 30 plants to get the biggest one.

Use a huge container (>10 gallons) or give it lots of space in raised bed with really deep soil. Either mix in lots of balanced organic fertilizer before you plant, or plan on using a chemical fertilizer on a regular basis.
     Pick off all flowers until it gets huge and pissed off. In late July, when it's like 6'tall and it has all this pent-up sexual energy, start allowing it to flower. Only let a few of them to reach maturity. You want some insurance in case one or two pods don't make it, yet you don't want the plant wasting a bunch of energy on non-winning pods. 
     Pick the pod and fire roast it on a grill along with some serranos, an onion and garlic. Peel the veggies and blend them up with some lime juice, cilantro and salt. Open a bottle of tequila and a bag of corn chips (You are a THP member now, these should be coming in the mail soon. Along with JayT's hotdog recipe booklet and texas blues' "101 Things to Never Do with a Jalapeño" 5th edition.) Eat the chips and "salsa de chile gigantica". Drink waaaaay too much tequila and post pics of that salsa in "Drunken Chef". Take your place in THP history.
     Oh, and take pics.

:drunk:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Use a huge container (>10 gallons) or give it lots of space in raised bed with really deep soil. Either mix in lots of balanced organic fertilizer before you plant, or plan on using a chemical fertilizer on a regular basis.
     Pick off all flowers until it gets huge and pissed off. In late July, when it's like 6'tall and it has all this pent-up sexual energy, start allowing it to flower. Only let a few of them to reach maturity. You want some insurance in case one or two pods don't make it, yet you don't want the plant wasting a bunch of energy on non-winning pods. 
     Pick the pod and fire roast it on a grill along with some serranos, an onion and garlic. Peel the veggies and blend them up with some lime juice, cilantro and salt. Open a bottle of tequila and a bag of corn chips (You are a THP member now, these should be coming in the mail soon. Along with JayT's hotdog recipe booklet and texas blues' "101 Things to Never Do with a Jalapeño" 5th edition.) Eat the chips and "salsa de chile gigantica". Drink waaaaay too much tequila and post pics of that salsa in "Drunken Chef". Take your place in THP history.
     Oh, and take pics.

Sound advice all around!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Oh, and take pics.

I think this is the best advice I have ever read on here!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Oh, and take pics.

This will be the best thing I read all day week.

Noah Yates said:
Also, I find that large fleshy peppers tend to successfully grow big when they are shaded from direct sunlight.
Orange bell peppers from the same seed pack have flowered and set as much fruit in their first three months under the shade cloth this year as they did all season last year without the shade. Hoping they will get larger before ripening as well.

Ha sorry people...I lost..sabotaged myself when a volleyball crushed my plant early on..and pretty sure his peppers were on steroids! Next year revising to do most weight in peppers produced by one plant...and I'm overwintering this sucker to stayahead of the game!

Back