• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Queen Laurie vs Aji Amarillo?

They look similar (except for the rounded tail on the queen laurie) and reviews about their flavor and spiciness also seem similar (since they are both baccatum). Anyone have experience with the two varieties? Thank you  :P

Queen Laurie.

E60xD82.png

And the  famous Aji Amarillo:
mKVwgaP.jpg

I cannot offer a comparison as I have not tasted the Amarillo.

I grew Queen Laurie last year and am growiing it again this season.  Last year's glog has a summary of my pepper at the end: 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44756-cone9-the-prologue-2014-glog/?p=939266

Last year my QL seed was very slow to germinate and the plant struggled a while after plant out.  Mid-season it finally took off.  It ended up near six feet tall and LOADED with green fruit when the first freeze came.  I only got a handful of ripe peppers but they were wonderful!  Large, crunchy, tasty pods with moderate heat.  They are a real winner.

This year, seed saved from last season germinated quickly and the plants are doing very well.  They have set a nice number of peppers already and I look forward to their ripening.  I'm sure I'll find plenty of use for these peppers, especially in a sauce.

@cone9 Very interesting glog! And those TS yellow CARDI look awesome, Your queen laurie description sounds pretty tasty, thank you!

I'm growing Aji Amarillo this season and they are surprisingly large. Look fairly similar to the QL but like you said are pointed instead of blunt like that. Can't wait until I get a ripe on to try. 

_MG_0902.JPG

D3monic said:
I'm growing Aji Amarillo this season and they are surprisingly large. Look fairly similar to the QL but like you said are pointed instead of blunt like that. Can't wait until I get a ripe on to try. 

attachicon.gif
_MG_0902.JPG

Mike,

Did you grow the QL as well?
If not, let's swap a box of peppers later.  I'd like to try the Amarillo peppers.  They have been on my big list the last two years but just haven't make the cut yet.

No I haven't yet, Large pods but doesn't seem to be producing a lot of them. using it for some crosses as well. 

D3monic said:

attachicon.gif
_MG_0902.JPG

Wow, very nice pod! I might end up growing both varieties.

Back