• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Have a couple of peppers on my "Thai" plants

Not my image but all mine grow like this...

409cf3c2deab170a48253cdf355f0453.jpg

ya, definitely not thai dragon.

one grows certain peppers to fulfill a need. i have no reason to grow cayenne because the flakes i get for a dollar/pound are fine.
but i do grow the cayenne variants like goatsweed as my house pepper and it makes a killer powder, plus frozen pods dropped into stews or soups really elevate a soup.

growing kung pao, a cayenne type, is beneficial in the fact that it has a mild cayenne flavour but adds just the right amount of heat and flavour to a stir-fry.

jwala or indian finger pepper, which might be what you have(but my guess would be a large, narrow cayenne), is still another cayenne type but not as hot but still gives that cayenne flavour. it is fun to grow as the jwala can grow quite large and is fun in a competition as who can grow the largest.

pepperjoes sells a charleston pepper that is suppose to be the killer hot of all cayennes but i will stick to my goatsweed for heat and flavour for soups/stews.

maybe one day Dad and Marine son can have a hobby, who can grow the largest jwala or hottest charleston..... best wishes.

Looks like my Jwala, or even my Hair Peppers. My Jwalas run about 4 to 5 inches long and the plants are taller, while my hair peppers are about 6 to 7 inches long and many contort and twist, My Hair Pepper plants are much more dense, grow bushy and low to the ground. I think your looks more like the Jwala's. 

Thanks guys, I am thinking its a Cayenne of some sort as well.
I should have just asked some of you generous growers if they had a few real Thai Dragon seeds and grew the real deal. Live and learn right?

Proud Marine Dad said:
Joyner, if you have some extra Thai Dragon seeds for next season let me know.
I want to try the real deal. ;)
Sure, I can send you some pods at some point but they are open pollinated...no cross issues thus far however :) 

Burning Colon said:

one grows certain peppers to fulfill a need. i have no reason to grow cayenne because the flakes i get for a dollar/pound are fine.
but i do grow the cayenne variants like goatsweed as my house pepper and it makes a killer powder, plus frozen pods dropped into stews or soups really elevate a soup.

I have a Black Cobra Thai Pepper (aka Goatsweed) - just wanted to say that it DOES make a great tasting powder! Also, pretty darn spicy. Fun plant to grow with all that texture (silver hair on branches). And it's pretty pest resistant.

Edit: oh yeah, the OP - definitely not thai, they look like cayenne to me, or a similar variant.

Back