• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Please post your observations regarding my plants

Hi guys! First time posting here. (woohoo! :party:)

I'm a first-time grower here. I'm not very knowledgable and I'm looking for some more experienced folks to point out some things to help me get better at this.

I have some chilli plants. I don't know what they are, except that they came from a small chili that was rather fiery, and  looked like a tomato. It was much more fiery than the birds-eye chili which are so common here where I live.

Previously, I had a problem with an aphid infestation brought on by black ants. I tried a garlic/onion/soap mix spray, but those didn't work so well. I tried using a pesticide, but like the idiot I am, ended up burning my plants. I eventually ended up just placing all my pots on canisters partially submerged in water, to prevent the ants from bringing more aphids. That worked, but I'm sure it's not a long-term solution.

My current concern is that although my plants are doing much better than they previously were, I've noticed some strange growth and irregular patterns within the leaves of my 3 pots. I've become a bit concerned over this as I don't quite know what to make of it. I've read in some places that things similar to this indicate a virus, or that the soil has poor nutritition.

Would some of you more experienced growers please chime in on what you think this is, and what I should do about it? (Apologies if the depth-perception on my smartphone isn't the best)

Link to imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/MX5Qn

First off welcome! And there is a ton of information to absorb on this site from the many master pepper growers! Second your plants look healthy to me, those deformed leaves just look like they were damaged when they were smaller (probably from aphids) and grew after the fact. Doesn't look like a disease or nute problem to me, but maybe someone more experienced will be able to 100% confirm. Good luck with your grow this season!

My hydroponic ones do that in the growth phase when i get a tad too generous with nitrogen when too lazy to measure nutes and feed using rough estimates by sight. easy to correct in dwc/hydro. Could be something else for you however.. But identical to my past ones. Plants grew to be happy and healthy don't stress too much if this is the case.

Welcome to THP! 

Maybe over watering? We need more info: what growing medium, size of container and how long it's been in it, if your using nutes or fertilizers.
They looking pretty healthy though, look under all off the leaves for any buggies.

They look about the same as mine, and I've gotten a clean bill of health so far from the forum :)

Good luck and don't stress.

M

Wow you guys are one welcoming bunch! Thanks guys I look forward to interacting more with you as time goes on! ;)

Thanks everybody, I am happy to know that my precious plants are doing OK. It looks like one of them started flowering, but I'm not completely sure if that's a good thing as it's barely over a foot tall.

The soil mix is just some dirt I dug up on of the backyard. The soil around these parts tend to be somewhat high in clay content as the soil is very hard to dig through.  One thing that I'm concerned over as it seems that the soil seems to "clump together" as it dries up, as I can see the soil leaving the edges of the pot. I am trying to get the hang of watering them correctly, as I think I might be overwatering them.

The pots are more or less the volume of a paint can, and just cobbled up from the remains of old tires.

Paint can? As in gallon? At a foot and flowering in 80 degrees every other day or so seems right if drainage is good. My super huge ones are in 3 gallons and almost need every 3 or so days. My 5 gallons about 5-7 days.
I think I will do 3 gallon next year. All my 3 gallons are producing more.

Yup! A gallon.

All of this is new to me but I like learning!

Like earlier, I was worried because one of my plants was wilting - all of the leaves were hanging down, and thought that the sh*t had hit the fan..  I had no clue what was the culprit - googling pointed out that fungal and bacterial infections do this sort of thing.

Looking at my other two plants, I saw that they both seemed fine.

I decided to examine the soil, and sure enough - it had dried out to the point of clumping up - like how I had previously observed that the soil around these parts tends to do when it dries out.

I moved it inside the house, away from the heat, watered it, and prayed to the capsicum gods that be that my plant wouldn't give up the ghost.

At best, I thought it would take the plant maybe a day or two to perk up. I was quite surprised when only after a few hours, it was all standing upright again. Turns out that my plant was just really, really thirsty.

I don't know a whole lot about plants, but seeing this earlier today really impressed me. I thought my biggest plant was a goner! :tear:

Back