• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cherry/Currant/Pepper Jelly

I haven't posted a pepper jam recipe outside of my glog for awhile now, so I thought I'd put this one here.  I really love the taste of this.  I've not had currants before, but they made a wonderful jam with the sour cherries.

Hot Cherry-Currant

Ingredients:
  • 2 c. red currants
  • 4 c. sour cherries, pitted
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 5 Tobago Seasoning peppers
  • 3 small Red Rocoto peppers
  • 2 packs of liquid pectin
Instructions:
  • I put 1/4 c. water in a small pot with the currants and heated them up, then ran them through a seed mill to take out the seeds.  This gives you less mass of currant - but no seeds. 
  • I mixed that in with the 4 cups of sour cherries.  I mashed the cherries, but did not run them through a food processor.  This leaves bigger chunks and is a matter of preference.
  • I ran the peppers through a food processor and added those as well.
  • I heated up the cherries, currant mash, peppers, and sugar to a boil and let it boil for about 5 minutes
  • Add the 2 packets of liquid pectin
  • Bring back to a boil and boil for 1 minute
  • ladle immediately into sterilized jars and seal
  • Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes
Here are some pics:

The cherries and currants
jelly1.jpg

The peppers and my cutting board
jelly2.jpg

And the finished product:

jelly3.jpg

And there you go.

And if you liked this recipe, check out my aji lemon pepper jelly, Peach Habanero Jelly, or Black Scorpion jelly!

Great looking recipe - thanks for the post!  I think I will try this subbing gooseberries for the currants.  :)

someguy said:
Thanks for the recipe. My currant bushes started producing this year so now I know what to do with them.

No problem! This is my first year getting currants and I really liked their taste in this.

SmokenFire said:
Great looking recipe - thanks for the post!  I think I will try this subbing gooseberries for the currants.   :)

Awesome! My gooseberries are just getting ripe.  The ones I have are much sweeter than currants. They would make a great jam though...

Back