• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BER and how to fix?

Hi, i got some BER on my cracked jalapenos. I have used some calcium nitrate in the soil and some foliar spray with calcium chloride and epsom salt. Its only on the two of my largest plants that are in big plastic bags, not in the smaller potsize jalapenos. Its the same soil on all the plants and same watering/nutrients. Should it take long time to fix BER ? Is all the fruits that are on the plants before i started to give calcium doomed to get BER when they grow, would the treatment only fix new fruits or would it prevent fruits without sign of BER to get BER? It looks like the fruit that was very small when i started the treatment dont get it, but the fruits that was larger but didnt have any sign of it when i started to treat it they still get it. Its 2-3 weeks since i started to give them the first round with calcium nitrate, i have also used a litle bone meal in the soil, but since i didnt have that from the start it takes a long time before the plants can use that. Last year i used bone meal from the start and didnt have any problem.

how much calcium nitrate? 2 grams per gallon yields around 100mg/l... with most nutrient profiles calling for 200+

if you added too little its likely you will get more BER.

the calcium should prevent your smaller pods from getting the BER provided they are not hyper stressed... or bouncing back and forth from drought stress to plenty of water.

hm, i found this
"

Calcium Nitrate Application
If your tomatoes have already developed blossom-end rot, you can provide more balanced nutrition using a foliar spray of calcium nitrate mixed with water. Combine 4 level tablespoons of calcium nitrate in 1 gallon of water and apply to the tomato leaves two to three times per week, starting when the second set of blossoms appears. The ideal application rate is 1 gallon of this solution for every 20 to 50 square feet of garden, notes International Ag Labs. You can also apply calcium nitrate as a side-dressing at a rate of 4 ounces for 7 to 10 feet of row. Mix the side dressing carefully into the first 1 inch of surface soil and avoid getting it on the leaves."

Could i use this on my chilliplant and if my containers are maybe 1,5x1,5feet i should use 0,5-0,7 ounce of calcium nitrate on that plant (in the top soil)?

4 table spoons? how many grams is that?

sounds like an awful lot to me.

i would not spray your plants with calcium nitrate.

the whole idea of foliar feeding is to provide nutritiion immediately and supposedly more efficiently.
i recall reading a story way back about wine producers foliar feeding micro nutrients rather than amending the soil with micronutrients for some reason. other than this, as far as i know its not a commonly employed technique.

just water the stuff into the soil imo.

maybe 60 gram in 4 liters, 15 gram in 1 liters that i would used on 20 plants when used as spray, thats 0,75gram on each plant and some is dripping of, so maybe each plant get less than 0,5gram (1/10 of a teaspoon?) calcium nitrate on there leaves and the plants are 50-70cm in diameter and 50-100 cm high.

It has now been 3 days since i removed the last fruit with ber and all the new fruits looks and feels ok. I have removed 15-20 fruits that did have ber, but the last days i have harvested some nice red jalapenos that didnt have it, so i think i manage to fix the ber problem :-)

This is for 20 plants in 20L pots (som pots smaller and some bigger) The plants are 50-100 cm high and 50-100 cm diam, only a few is jalapeno, but i used the treatment on all to prevent ber on the plants that didnt have it.

I have been using calcium chloride and epsom salt as foliar spray since the plants was little babies, i have also used something like calmag as foliar spray 3-4 times. But after i got ber i started to use it more and i then started to give them some calcium nitrate too
With calcium nitrate i used 1 tblspoon in 1L for foliar spray and i have done that one time (2 weeks ago) and i have used 1-2 teaspoon in the top soil on the plants with the problem (5 weeks ago), i have also used 1 tblspoon in 10L water when watering and i have done that two times (5 and 2 weeks ago). I also used some bone meal in the soil 5-6 weeks ago, but that take some time to start working.

Back