• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Biker Billy Jals Coming Due

Super excited for my Billy Biker Jalapenos!  Last year I ordered fresh pods from Cappy that were awesome!  I ended up canning them but they didn't last long. This year, I have 3 plants of my own! 

hzuCJEvl.jpg

I have two Biker Billy plants, both loaded with pods.

I did the Biker Billy because they were reputed to be the hottest Jalapenos.

However, I have tried several, and frankly, I am disappointed.

I have two Big Guy plants that not only produced more pods, larger pods (by far), but are also consistently hotter. In fact, I had one of the Big Guy pods the other day, and it was amazingly hot for a Jalapeno.

I hope yours turn out better.

Good luck.

I grow several varieties of jalapenos every year and I no longer do Biker Billys because they were kind of small compared to some other varieties and certainly were not that hot. The ones that are fair sized and more consistantly hot are Primo Jalapenos from Gurney Seeds. Although weather and growing conditions can certainly make a difference.
http://www.gurneys.com/product/gurneys_primo_jalapeno_hybrid_hot_pepper/vegetables

I know what you're saying Alkhall (and Skullbiker) about the BB's.  I will take a look at the Big Guys and Gurneys as you suggest.  As you already know, these are marketed as being "hotter" than the normal Jalapenos and if not, can be a disappointment, I suppose.  I got interested in them based on several comments from members on THP.  To get a jump start on the grow this year, I ordered live plants directly from Burpee, instead of using the seeds I harvested from Cappy's pods (Although, I do have one plant from his seeds).    I also have a normal Jalapeno from the nursery to compare them to!  Anyway, I like to slice and pickle them using hot water bathe.  I use them on pizza, sandwiches and salads.  I have two Fresnos, too!  Should have many jars on the shelf to last 1/2 the year, anyways!  Thanks for weighing in on the topic! 

Tk6QcaLl.jpg

Edited to add foto.

Jim

Back