• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Aji de Tomate de Arbol / Tamarillo Hot Sauce

Earlier in the week i was at my local supermarket and was surprised to see a tray of tamarillos (also known as tree tomatoes) for sale. Never actually seen them before but i was reminded of an Ecuadorian aji sauce i had wanted to try for a while. I had planned on trying this next week but last night i swung by the shop and was glad i did as only about a dozen were left.

I did research this recipe, most seem to be a replicate of the original (which i have posted) or near enough not try any variations. I guess the glaring difference between mine and the original is the colour. The only fruit avaliable to me was deep red as opposed to the bright orange variety in the original recipe. This is my very close take.

Tamarillo, onion, peach bhuts, corriander, lemon.

2015-07-29%2016.45.31_zpswxxutiq6.jpg

Blitz tamarillos and chillies.

2015-07-29%2017.30.29_zps7hfv4x4w.jpg

Into a pan with 1/4 cup of water over medium heat.
2015-07-29%2017.35.12_zpsqlu7hytr.jpg

Other ingredients mixed through  and seasoned.
2015-07-29%2017.49.43_zpsrz1lag3r.jpg

Recipe:

Ingredients
  • 4-5 tree tomatoes, fresh or frozen
  • 2 ajies or hot peppers (serranos or red chilies are good options, habaneros if you are very brave)
  • 2 tbs finely chopped white onion
  • 1 tbs finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 tbs lime or lemon juice
  • ¼ cup water
  • Salt to taste
  • Optional – Add cooked and peeled chochos or lupini beans
  •  
Instructions

1. If using fresh tree tomatoes peel them, boil them for about 5 minutes to make it easier to peel them.
  2. If using frozen tree tomatoes, defrost them over night in the fridge, then cut them in half and scoop out all the insides.
  3. Blend the tree tomatoes with the hot peppers (seeded and deveined if you want it very mild, you can always save a few seeds and add them in if it’s too mild).
  4. Transfer the blended mix of tree tomatoes and hot peppers to a small sauce pan, add the water (you can add more if you want a more liquid sauce) and cook on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. You can also omit the cooking part, the sauce will be fresher, but will need to be consumed faster.
  5. Add the onion, lime juice, cilantro, chochos (if adding), and salt to taste.
  6. Serve warm or cold.

Courtesy of: http://laylita.com/recipes/2008/03/10/tree-tomato-aji/

Thank you. Sorry i forgot the description.

I was quite surprised at how thick the pureed fruit was, it almost immediately took on a jam-like consistancy in the pot. The flavor is a littlee hard to describe, its not a strong tasting fruit. Its a little sweet, a little tart, the flavor of the bhuts really came through. I quite liked the good kick of acid from the lemon.

I think it lends its self a little more to sweet. I could quite easily see it being made into dessert type sauce i see some of the experimental posters having a go at from time to time. Because the tamarillo isnt overly sweet itself, i can also see it being used in a savory way such as in a chutney.

Tinnie said:
Thank you. Sorry i forgot the description.

I was quite surprised at how thick the pureed fruit was, it almost immediately took on a jam-like consistancy in the pot. The flavor is a littlee hard to describe, its not a strong tasting fruit. Its a little sweet, a little tart, the flavor of the bhuts really came through. I quite liked the good kick of acid from the lemon.

I think it lends its self a little more to sweet. I could quite easily see it being made into dessert type sauce i see some of the experimental posters having a go at from time to time. Because the tamarillo isnt overly sweet itself, i can also see it being used in a savory way such as in a chutney.
Nice post thanks for bringing this to our attention!! :) Will definitely be researching it more now.

Back