• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chinense Question: Habanero or Scotch Bonnet

Hi everyone,

Hopefully folks will chime in.  My question is based on having decent heat, but mainly full of flavor and taste.  Heat i would hope to be around 200K to be good, but does not need to hit the Red Savina range.  So having said that.... what is more flavorful to grow and cook with?

Habanero: and if so which one?
or
Scotch Bonnet: which one? I know there are not as many varieties as with the Habanero.

So far i am sold on growing my Datil every year.But looking for something with a bit more heat but still packing a lot of flavor and not just heat.  Red Savina is good and packs great, but I think it starts to loose some flavor compared to a Datil imho.  

Thanks
Gabe

Another option is the Yellow or Red Fatali, I'm growing the chocolate ones this year. See this review and also his chocolate fatali review which surprises him on the heat.
and the chocolate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGAcNF8pqZY

My favorite Habanero is the Antillais Carribean Habanero!  Honestly if you're cooking them they all have the Hab flavor, I am speaking of eating raw.  The Antillais tastes great to me when I eat them uncooked. 

I'm a big SB fan myself. One of my favorites, can't wait to try a MOA one. I think i have 8 MOA yellow small plants and 1 red moa lol. I think they're definitely more flavorful than habs. I taste the hab flavor when i eat it raw, maybe pickle some slices but the flavor doesn't really come out when i cook it in sauces or anything

Back