• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are there any fascinating color varieties?

I want to have some color in my garden. Are there any varieties of pepper plants that are not just plain green but other colors? If so, which varieties are there and what colors are they?

Are you talking mature or in-mature ?  Most will start out green( some purple or white)  but millions of colors upon ripening . Peach,purple,golden,striped, mustard, yellow,caramel and much much more .  :party:

Look into ornamental peppers.

A bunch of them are still edible and spicy, just not marketed as such.  Had some fluorescent purples I never knew the name of that looked awesome.

The fluorescent purples I mentioned were more than just the peppers.

The whole plant started out green with purple specks.  The flowers flowered white and purple.

As it suntanned, the whole thing turned a rich purple that could look black.

Wulf said:
The fluorescent purples I mentioned were more than just the peppers.

The whole plant started out green with purple specks.  The flowers flowered white and purple.

As it suntanned, the whole thing turned a rich purple that could look black.
Exactly what I was looking for thanks! Are there any other pepper plants that have a weird color to them?

Cheiro Roxa is an absolutely gorgeous plant with purple foliage. It's fruits start purple, then turn green in areas, then they end up a beautiful translucent salmon color while still maintaining deep purple suntans on the tops of the pods. As an added bonus, the fruit is delicious - one of my favorites this season.
     Another variety to look at is goat's weed. It has dark green foliage where each tiny leaf is frosted in pure white hairs - making the whole plant look like it's covered in rime ice. The pods start green when they're really small, then they turn black. Mature pods turn an eye-popping shade of pure deep red. They are the reddest pods I've ever seen. 

edit: goat's weed makes some killer pepper flakes, too!

My Explosive Ember

8_8Explosive%20Ember_zpsc6oclqhe.jpg

SBS Purple

8_9SBS%20Purple%20Ornamental1_zps1akz6pfk.jpg

Chinese 5 Color

India%20Jwala1_zpsvfhod6b5.jpg

What I believe to be a Pimenta Leopard

8_17Pimenta%20Leopard1_zps1hvpscgq.jpg

Yaki brown as well, fidalga roxa, cgn-21500, royal black, pink tiger, fish peppers are variegated , goatsweed are fuzzy

Check CCN. They have one called Bellengrath Gardens. It has multi colored leaves with purple flowers,black stem and peppets that change from black to green to lipstick red upon ripening. Really nice looking plant.

Back