• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

All Leaves... Few Buds.... No Pods on my super hots. Now what?

I have about 30 plants (scorpions, morugas, bhuts, naga.... and such)  which I planted in generic potting soil and fertilized with fish emulsion mostly.  It is now almost September and I am worried that I won't  be getting many pods.  I have a few flowers on a Butch-T scorp but that's it.  I tried to push it with Big Bloom waterings but that's not making a big difference.  I'm in Southern Oregon.... about 6 to 8 weeks to go.  Any suggestions?

9v8ghc.jpg
sl6v7q.jpg

It sounds like too much nitrogen to me, but I don't know enough to be sure of that. I was reading recently about using epsom salt in water to trigger blooming.

Inedible said:
It sounds like too much nitrogen to me, but I don't know enough to be sure of that. I was reading recently about using epsom salt in water to trigger blooming.
I think you are right. I spray my jalapeno plant with epsom salt every 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks. It started flowering and podding up like never before. I think it does help.

Charx said:
...I'm in Southern Oregon.... about 6 to 8 weeks to go.  Any suggestions?

I am on about the same latiude as you and have been thinking the same, in terms of remaining time in this growing season. Thanks Backyardpepper for the epsom salt tip.

I typically incorporate epsom salts (magnesium) / eggshells (calcium) into my feedings a couple times a year to help provide the magnesium / calcium the plants may need.

You can also try a more Potassium (3rd number) weighted fertilizer to help with flowering.  Have you done anything different this year than previous years?

And when you do get flowers, I'd help with the pollination as much as possible since you're running into the tail end of your season.  Cotton swap, electric toothbrush, ol' fashion rubbin' with the tip of the finger have all worked for me.  And you can always bring them indoors.

M

inolan22 said:
I typically incorporate epsom salts (magnesium) / eggshells (calcium) into my feedings a couple times a year to help provide the magnesium / calcium the plants may need.

You can also try a more Potassium (3rd number) weighted fertilizer to help with flowering.  Have you done anything different this year than previous years?
This is my first year so there aren' try "previous years"..... so I'm kind of winging it.

mlittle74 said:
And when you do get flowers, I'd help with the pollination as much as possible since you're running into the tail end of your season.  Cotton swap, electric toothbrush, ol' fashion rubbin' with the tip of the finger have all worked for me.  And you can always bring them indoors.

M

Good ideas!  I guess you just touch the flowers with a cotton swab or finger and keep touching flower-to-flower on the same plant?   And I was going to move them indoors for after trimming them down for over wintering..... so if my pods are still maturing I'll move them in till they do. then trim them down for over-wintering.  Thanks!

I had a jgs peach in my raised bed that got about 2.5 feet tall, a lot of flowers but no pods. About a month ago I ripped it out of the bed since it was just taking up space but I didn't have the heart to kill it. Ended up putting it in the ground and now the thing is loaded with pods. Thinking the shaking/stress of the move triggered it to throw out pods.

Charx said:
This is my first year so there aren' try "previous years"..... so I'm kind of winging it.

Good ideas!  I guess you just touch the flowers with a cotton swab or finger and keep touching flower-to-flower on the same plant?   And I was going to move them indoors for after trimming them down for over wintering..... so if my pods are still maturing I'll move them in till they do. then trim them down for over-wintering.  Thanks!

Just take the cotton swab and put it up against the inside of the flower.  Give it a roll back and forth a time or two and it some cases you can actually see the pollen drop.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

M

Genetikx said:
I had a jgs peach in my raised bed that got about 2.5 feet tall, a lot of flowers but no pods. About a month ago I ripped it out of the bed since it was just taking up space but I didn't have the heart to kill it. Ended up putting it in the ground and now the thing is loaded with pods. Thinking the shaking/stress of the move triggered it to throw out pods.
Now that is *very* interesting....  I may have to try that as a last ditch resort!

Back