• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A post my son made on a music forum super hot pepper related

My son is 26.  He makes me look at him quite often and I just shake my head and say "it's like watching a chimp try to open a coconut"  So below is the post.  I find it funny because I warn him all the time.

[SIZE=16pt]I have been growing a lot of the world's hottest pepper, the Carolina Reaper, and an assortment of around 80 super hot peppers this year. A few of my peppers started to go bad since I haven't had a chance to dry them or use them. I decided that I would just put them in the garbage disposal to get rid of them. For a minute or so I was greeted by a noxious gas of capsacin spewing up in my face, initiating a pleasant dry heave. Nothing too much worse than when I dry them out. But lo and behold the disposal wound up clogging. I turned off the garbage disposal and instinctively put my arm elbow deep into this broth to try and clear the blockage, sadly to no avail yet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]A few minutes later I start to feel a tingling under my school ring and then it eventually started to spread up towards my elbow. Now the burn is pretty consistent and feels like I have left my hand on the wood stove for far too long. But the fun doesn't stop there. I had to rub my face and stomach before the symptoms started to appear on my arm so now those are burning as well. Cutting into one alone can be a problem hours later without washing thoroughly. But since capsacin is water insoluble and there were many in the sink the dreadful heat is concentrated and spread nice and evenly. Thankfully I have some experience with this burning from the past, but not to this extreme, or I would probably be unable to handle it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]If you want to try some super hots, please for your own safety and sanity use gloves and don't stick them in the disposal.[/SIZE]

That's exactly what it's for. Ummm.

I bet you have those towels in the bathroom that no one can use. :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
I bet you have those towels in the bathroom that no one can use. :lol:
Doubtful with 3 kids hahaha - Any way here are your do's and don't by food I meant things like whole pods hahahahha - glad he learned a lesson  or tow or 10 ;)

Garbage Disposal Do’s:
  • Do keep your garbage disposal clean. Pour a little dish soap inside and let the garbage disposal run for a minute or so with some cold water after washing dishes.
  • Do run your garbage disposal regularly. Frequent use prevents rust and corrosion, assures that all parts stay moving and prevents obstructions from accumulating.
  • Do grind food waste w/ a strong flow of cold water. Why cold water? It will cause any grease or oils that may get into the unit to solidify, so that they can be chopped up before reaching the trap.
  • Do grind certain hard materials such as small chicken and fish bones, egg shells, small fruit pits, etc. A scouring action is created by these particles inside the grind chamber that cleans the garbage disposal’s walls.
  • Do grind peelings from citrus fruits such as lemons or oranges to freshen up drain smells.
  • Do cut large items into smaller pieces. Put them into the garbage disposal one at a time instead of trying to shove a large amount in at once. 

Garbage Disposal Don’ts:
The most important rule of thumb: Don’t Put Anything In The Garbage Disposal That Is Not Biodegradable Food.A garbage disposal is not a trash can; it’s for food scraps only. Non food items can damage both blades and the motor. When in doubt, throw it out!
  • Don’t grind glass, plastic, metal or even paper. 
  • Don’t grind anything combustible.
  • Don’t grind cigarette butts
  • Don’t pour grease, oil or fat into your garbage disposal or drain. Grease will slowly accumulate and impede your garbage disposal’s grinding ability as well as clog drains.
  • Don’t use hot water when grinding food waste. Hot water will cause grease to liquefy and accumulate, causing drains to clog.
  • Don’t grind extremely fibrous material like corn husks, celery stalks, onion skins, and artichokes.  Fibers from these can tangle and jam the garbage disposal motor and block drains .
  • Don’t turn off the motor or water until grinding is completed. When grinding is complete, turn off the the garbage disposal first. Let water continue to run for at least 15 seconds, flushing out any remaining particles. Then turn off water.
  • Don’t put too many potato peels down the garbage disposal. The starches in the potatoes will turn into a thick paste and may cause blades to stick.
  • Don’t put large amounts of food down the garbage disposal. Feed food into the garbage disposal a little at a time with the cold water running; this will help the food scraps flow down freely through the drain pipes and plumbing.
  • Don’t put expandable foods into your garbage disposal. Foods like pasta and rice expand when you add water in a pot; they do the same thing once inside your pipes or garbage disposal and are the cause of many jams and clogs.
  • Don’t grind large animal bones (beef, pork etc.).
  • Avoid putting coffee grounds down the garbage disposal. They won’t harm the garbage disposal and they’ll actually help eliminate odors. However, they can accumulate in drains and pipes, causing clogs. Best to avoid.
  • Don’t use harsh chemicals like bleach or drain cleaners. They can damage blades and pipes. Borax is a natural sink cleaner and sanitizer that effectively works on odor-causing mold and mildew that accumulates in garbage disposals. (See more below).

Chris thank you so much for that information! I'm going to make my son study that then test him on it. He is a real knucklehead so I'm not sure if he'll pass the test.

Back