• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

help is this fixable

All my plants were looking great then this first lots of holes then leaves dying we've had several days of rain.
IMG_20150903_184407.jpg

Thanks

I don't want to be the one to say it ...
... but that looks like BLS.

9 times out of 10 people come and say "I think I have bacterial leaf spot" and I'm like, "nah - this is BLS!" ...

But this time, quite unfortunately, that DOES look like BLS ... where the holes are, were they lesions before and then ripped from one necrotic spot to the next? ...

I just lost a patch to BLS following 8-10 days of rain, myself ...

I any plants w/ those lesions should be moved away from the rest immediately ...

Sorry, man ... it SUCKS!

grantmichaels said:
I don't want to be the one to say it ...... but that looks like BLS.

9 times out of 10 people come and say "I think I have bacterial leaf spot" and I'm like, "nah - this is BLS!" ...

But this time, quite unfortunately, that DOES look like BLS ... where the holes are, were they lesions before and then ripped from one necrotic spot to the next? ...

I just lost a patch to BLS following 8-10 days of rain, myself ...

I any plants w/ those lesions should be moved away from the rest immediately ...

Sorry, man ... it SUCKS!
Shit!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Grant am going to pull it immediately next to other plants!!!!

grantmichaels said:
It's worth considering actually removing that next band around it to ... seriously.
I've got plants on two sides with tons of peppers do you think they will be affected Grant? Man I'm gonna cry!!!!! :(

Damn the comments are bleak.    Throw a garbage bag over the one plant you mentioned, grasp bag shut at the base, cut at ground level, get rid of it.  Digging up the roots might help, no clue, but dont do it till the rest of the plant is bagged and removed.  What Grant said about removing the plants around it, but if not then watch them very closely.  Then take a good long hot shower before touching anything else in the garden.

You can't think of a garden as individual plants, it will drive you crazy.  You have to think of it more like a collective / whole entity.  Never had to step up and go with copper, but check this out.  It also mentions commercial preparations which might help.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/NewsArticles/PepperLeafSpot.htm

ajdrew said:
Damn the comments are bleak.    Throw a garbage bag over the one plant you mentioned, grasp bag shut at the base, cut at ground level, get rid of it.  Digging up the roots might help, no clue, but dont do it till the rest of the plant is bagged and removed.  What Grant said about removing the plants around it, but if not then watch them very closely.  Then take a good long hot shower before touching anything else in the garden.
You can't think of a garden as individual plants, it will drive you crazy.  You have to think of it more like a collective / whole entity.  Never had to step up and go with copper, but check this out.  It also mentions commercial preparations which might help.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/NewsArticles/PepperLeafSpot.htm
Thanks brother really kills me after all the great people here chipped in to help hate to see it ruined. So everyone is in agreement remove this plant immediately!

Here's the worst part. I was going along swimmingly, then a single plant toppled over in the rain from the disparity in weight from the wet side to the dry side ...

The BLS in my soil infected it overnight, even though it's been two years since I've grown and it's technically six feet from the plot ...

If that plant was planted, I'd consider launching some chemical-warfare in the form of a drench ... actually, I'd do that, and come behind w/ myco ...

AACT is better, I think, but myco will be easier ...

Can you send pics of the leaves around it?

Here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32198-which-of-these-bacterial-leaf-spot-treatments-should-i-use-first-second/?p=656857

and:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38986-aact-what-you-might-want-to-read-first/?p=819221

I think I'd make a fire where that plant was and cook some hotdogs and smores and hope the temp radiates high enough over the course of the fire's whole time to pasteurize the ground below it ...

I've seen vids on youtube of people treating BLS with baking soda and or hydrogen peroxide. Won't cure it but will slow it down and help to keep it from spreading. Don't know how successful it is as I've never needed to try it. Just look up "treating bacterial leaf spot" or something similar

grantmichaels said:
Here's the worst part. I was going along swimmingly, then a single plant toppled over in the rain from the disparity in weight from the wet side to the dry side ...The BLS in my soil infected it overnight, even though it's been two years since I've grown and it's technically six feet from the plot ...If that plant was planted, I'd consider launching some chemical-warfare in the form of a drench ... actually, I'd do that, and come behind w/ myco ...AACT is better, I think, but myco will be easier ...Can you send pics of the leaves around it?Here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32198-which-of-these-bacterial-leaf-spot-treatments-should-i-use-first-second/?p=656857

and:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38986-aact-what-you-might-want-to-read-first/?p=819221

I think I'd make a fire where that plant was and cook some hotdogs and smores and hope the temp radiates high enough over the course of the fire's whole time to pasteurize the ground below it ...
Hahaha oh man it's hammering out there and there's thunder and lightning it's crazy!

oldsalty said:
Hahaha oh man it's hammering out there and there's thunder and lightning it's crazy!

Yeah, so that's not helping things at all ...

If you poke around in my oldest threads in the GLOG area (THP won't return hits on 3 letter words and I'm lazy and use BLS all the time instead of bacterial leaf spot) you'll find pics and pics and see how much work I put in just to get to where it was progressing slowly ...

There was no beating it, but I managed to get some plants to survive it like chemo/cancer ...

Actually ... it always seems to come behind tropical weather systems, and also, the only plants that were resistant to it were ajijoe's friend's mustard habaneros ... they got the lesions, including on the fruit and stems, but managed to outgrow it during the wet months, and then formed new branches that were-lesion free during the dry months of winter ...

Bottom watering is how you stop it, but if your in-ground, in-rain ... there's not much you can do ...

It's interesting that it's always coming behind the tropical weather, though ... could be another one of those CRAZY mother nature thing's like red tide ... which they (UF) figured out that the spores came from the sands of the sahara and traveled all the way to the Gulf of Mexico by currents/jet stream what not ...

Hmmmm ... I think if I had time, I'd Google to see if they have something similar described in in the Caribbean and/or Ivory Coast (and treatments) ...

Good luck ... it's the kind of thing that takes the fun out of gardening, I'm afraid ... just ruthless.

* The only real bright-side is that if you grow tepin/chiltepin type peppers, those types that have the bark on their stems as opposed to being fleshy, it doesn't spread across their bark ;)

grantmichaels said:
Yeah, so that's not helping things at all ...

If you poke around in my oldest threads in the GLOG area (THP won't return hits on 3 letter words and I'm lazy and use BLS all the time instead of bacterial leaf spot) you'll find pics and pics and see how much work I put in just to get to where it was progressing slowly ...

There was no beating it, but I managed to get some plants to survive it like chemo/cancer ...

Actually ... it always seems to come behind tropical weather systems, and also, the only plants that were resistant to it were ajijoe's friend's mustard habaneros ... they got the lesions, including on the fruit and stems, but managed to outgrow it during the wet months, and then formed new branches that were-lesion free during the dry months of winter ...

Bottom watering is how you stop it, but if your in-ground, in-rain ... there's not much you can do ...

It's interesting that it's always coming behind the tropical weather, though ... could be another one of those CRAZY mother nature thing's like red tide ... which they (UF) figured out that the spores came from the sands of the sahara and traveled all the way to the Gulf of Mexico by currents/jet stream what not ...

Hmmmm ... I think if I had time, I'd Google to see if they have something similar described in in the Caribbean and/or Ivory Coast (and treatments) ...

Good luck ... it's the kind of thing that takes the fun out of gardening, I'm afraid ... just ruthless.
* The only real bright-side is that if you grow tepin/chiltepin type peppers, those types that have the bark on their stems as opposed to being fleshy, it doesn't spread across their bark ;)
Do as much as possible am pulling the first plant as soon as weather clears a little. Looks like Tepins next year :) thinking about a green house, building my own. Seems like an alternative to outdoor hassles and I've got room will have to look into it. Be a good build in the winter months. Depends on my surgery. Don't need the heartache. :) of losing to mother nature's wrath! What do you think? More control?

Grant, why you being all the glass is half empty?  I gotta disagree with the idea that there is nothing a person can do if you plant in ground.  If you plant in raised rows with good run off, that along goes a long way.  But there are spray treatments available that will help also.  Not saying it is a good thing, but its not like someone just dropped a nuke in his back yard.  Damn, you are frightening me.

Copper - Good as a preventative, but is not a cure. Hydrogen peroxide and water can be used, but is also unlikely to cure. But you can water the soil with it, for those that don't already have it. So a combo of copper above and h2o2 below may help stave off spreading. 

Here's a guide to using h2o2: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

ajdrew, grant has good reason to be "dramatic" in this case. It is very difficult to get rid of BLS.

Grant, why you being all the glass is half empty?  I gotta disagree with the idea that there is nothing a person can do if you plant in ground.  If you plant in raised rows with good run off, that along goes a long way.  But there are spray treatments available that will help also.  Not saying it is a good thing, but its not like someone just dropped a nuke in his back yard.  Damn, you are frightening me.

The *ONLY* reason I didn't recommend he go outside to be the dude cutting down a plant in the storm (Hi, I've been that guy ...) is because it's Oldsalty and that carries the risk of falling and health comes ahead of peppers!

Back